Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog Legal Fuel Cells

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Sep 4, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone know of any companies offering smog legal fuel cells for california? Preferably with a big fat C.A.R.B. EO# plastered on the side of it?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of a smog legal Fuel Cell. Try posting on www.race-dezert.com, many of pre-runner guys on that site say they dont have any problems with smog due to their fuel cell.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I would ass-ume that so long as you can hook up all of the original smog related stuff, like a vented gas cap, vapor return and all that stuff, that you would be fine unless you get a smog guy that wants to be a real dick. </font>

4. willyswanter

Since it is a part of the fuel/emissions system it has to have a carb eo # if it is not an oem tank. Like you said, it could never come up if I hide it well enough and use the stock filler but who knows.

The general consensus is that it has to be a carb approved tank to be actually legal, not just a cross your fingers and hope it passes thing.

I've been trying to register on race dezert for like a year, I fill out the info and never get the email with my password... I searched there forums but get nothing.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Wierd, I know on there after you get all signed on and stuff you have to PM one of the mods so they can make sure you fill out your profile before you start posting

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably going to send us veering off target, but why would a tank need to be CARB approved? (Although this is CA we are talking about I realize) Better clarify though, I believe OBD2 systems monitor tank pressure if thats what you are dealing with.

The tank does nothing but hold pressure/liquid, the sennding unit is the piece that has all the "emissions" fittings on it on all GM vehicles I've seen. (probably why the sending units are upwards of $500 on some newer vehicles) Only thing on my K5 tank that could be even halfway construed as emissions is the fill tube fitting which IS part of the tank.

Gotta love it when following the intent of the law (as opposed to the letter) is not the focus of the enforcing agencies.

7. willyswanter

Well technically the only real thing they check at a smog test is the cap and that the little flapper valve thingy in the filler neck is there. But, since the tank IS part of the fuel/emissions system, it has to be carb approved if it's not an oem part. It's just the way it goes in california. It's like on an engine swap, if I put a dodge engine in my truck the only way it will be smog legal is if I run the dodge tranny, wtf???

8. willyswanter

Oh well, I'm just going to stick a 42 gallon suburban fuel tank in, the sender and pump will drop right in and theres no conflicts at the smog shop /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I don't think there was; but there have been some good discussions on RDC about this and I think there was somebody that actually got it done all legal like.