Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog legal headers (cal)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FLASHLIGHT76, Jul 9, 2002.

1. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Yes I live in Oregon but I'm military and a California resident. I want to put a good exhaust on my truck but I'm trying to keep it smog legal should I get stationed back home. I have an 89 suburban 2500 and I can't seem to find aftermarket headers for the sub or k5, which carry the c.a.r.b. number. Shorties don't count as headers! Has anyone found some and how do you pass smog with them. Can the cat be relocated to the opposite side and use headers off of 1500 trucks? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Have you looked into the Edelbrock T.E.S. headers? That is what i put on my 86 and they have the C.A.R.B. number right on them.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

estabank5 - could you post a p/n

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I used a set of Hedmen that came with AIR tubes welded on. With out the smog stuff hooked up I just cap off the AIR tube inlet with a coarse thread pipe cap /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    good luck

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Doug Thorly makes headers and are Cal. Legal. They are located in Southern Cal. if my memory serves me right.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Thorleys are great, see below for pics of their coated, smog legal headers.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I was quoted $475 for a set of shorty Edlebrock headers at Vic Hubbard about 7 months ago. I said "**** that!" and walked out. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

NOW THOSE HEADERS ARE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT??SWWWEEEEETTTT. HOW MUCH AND WHERE DID YOU GET THEM I NEED A COMPLETE SYSTEM FRONT TO BACK. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Those are the same headers I have, except they're shinier /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Pismo salt and an evening of running too lean burned all of the shine off mine /forums/images/icons/frown.gif , I smelled something like hot metal, pulled over popped the hood and they were GLOWING /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif , I had a bad O2 sensor /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got mine at my 4wd shop, Tarheel 4wd, but u bein in new York that wouldnt be too economical. The only dealer listed in NY for Thorleys is
    Camper’s Barn
    124 Route 28
    Kingston, NY. 12401
    I think i payed around $425 for mine coated and emissions ready, and these things have got a massively thick flange on em! There is no way in heck you could warp these suckers. In my OPINION, there is not a better header for the cash, i looked at Hooker's and they had a thin flange and were about 50 bucks more for the same thing. K20

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How long have you used them? I bought a set of Hooker Super Comps and had them coated by Jet-Hot (big frickin mistake) I don't use the truck in the winter but the salt in the air has made them start to rust. They recoated them and 8 months later they look like garbage (I could care less about no shine, but they are frickin rusting). Do you know who coats them for Thorley? Thanks.

12. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

You can order them from Summit also. But then you will have to put them in or take them to some after you get them.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

theyve been on there since january, but the truck hasnt had a lot of drivin on it yet, since, well, look at the inside, that is what it looks like now lol. Its bein painted, on the inside now, so hopefully itll be back together by mid july. I need cash lol. The bit i did drive i could tell a big diff from when it had the old maifolds and exhaust system on it to what its got now. Of course the Jet stage 2 chip can work like it should now as well.