Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog Legal Headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Jul 21, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5 tbi with a.i.r. injection. I want to put a set of headers on, but dont have enough money to drop $450 on a set of headers with the air injection fittings on them. I can get headers for a good price with 02 sensor bungs, but not with air. Looking through the jegs website today, I found this product from hedman.
    hedman small block chevy smog tube kit
    It says that it is designed to fit all makes of headers. So, if I am correct in my thinking, if I buy a set of regular headers with an 02 sensor bung but no air injection fittings, and I then purchase this kit, will the kit allow me to use the headers and the factory air injection as long as I use these as well? The way I see it, if I am correct, the price of a set of $250 headers, plus $60 for this kit is well under the $450-$550 range for air injection headers. Am I right in thinking this kit will allow me to turn non air injection equipped headers into air injection headers? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats wrong with this part number at Jegs? 500-69091

It says with AIR, and it's what, $278?

I've got the Hedman Elite 69890 on my '86, according to Hedmans site they aren't made for that truck.

Especially with our vehicles, it is very hard to find what will fit, based solely on what the part manufacturer says. Hedman is no different, however in my case, since mine don't have AIR, that is probably why they say to '81 only.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up on that part number. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I looked everywhere and couldnt find a a.i.r. header for that price, even on Jegs. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Thanks for finding that man. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    -Harrison