Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog legal motor swap... California!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyman562, Jan 24, 2005.

1. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

Has anyone ever done a emissions legal engine swap in California? Is it worth the hassel? Who did you get your info from? I looked on the state website for Auto repair and it was very vauge. Thanks.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thinking of the same thing - putting a Vortec into the 91 K5.

I am at the point of contacting a Technical resource in the Ca DMV. I want to talk with someone before I do all the work and then dump it on a Referee. I was told I could reach someone at (800)952-5210 but after a few attempts I have had no luck actually getting a person. Please let me know if you have any luck.

2 good links for you:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smog.htm
    http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/califlegalswap.html

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am know expert by any means, but here is how I read the DMV/EPA websites. You can swap any engine into your vehicle as long as:

1. It is the same type of engine. This means if you have a light duty truck engine per your VIN you have to use a light duty truck engine. If you have a passanger car engine you have to replace with a passanger car engine.

2. All emissions equipment for the year of the vehicle is operating properly or if a newer engine is used all of the emissions equipment for that year of engine is operating properly.

3. It must pass a visual and tail pipe test.

Again I am no expert it is just how I read it. I plan on putting a 6.0L in my 87. The silverado SS is a light duty truck so the engine matches my VIN. It is also in the Escalade if they want to be picky about the whole SUV thing.

Anyway my .02. Hope it helps.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would personally NEVER take something that is "iffy" on smog to the refferee. If the truck is not 100% legal they will cause you BIG problems.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Things may have changed (again!) with the new laws that went into effect on the first of the year, as of last year my comments below worked.

Can put a passenger car engine in a light duty or Heavy Duty truck. Light Duty (1/2t) are (were?) considered the same as a passenger car for emissions purposes. Can NOT put a HD engine in a LD truck or a car. Can not put in an engine older than the year of the vehicle (i.e. no '67 engines in '87 vehicles).
    Depends on if OBD II engine or not. If OBD II, EVERYTHING from the donor vehicle must fit and and work as intended. "Everything" includes anything btwn the first air inlet sensor to the last O2 sensor and all of the fuel system except possibly the fuel tank itself. But all of the fittings and sensors of the donor tank must be there & function as intended.

Your best bet is to make an appointment to se the Ref b4 you start on the project. Get a list from him/her of the specific things they're going to want the vehicle to have. I've been thru one OBD II swap - don't want to do it again. The first sensor of that LS1 was in the filter housing. Because the stock LS1 air filter can doesn't fit in a YJ we had to buy something with an E.O. number that replaced it. A K&N FIPK was the only option, at $300
    I was able to piece together a filter system that would work using only OE and FIPK parts. Can not use any fab'd parts since they aren't covered by an OE application or an E.O. number.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Its easier for me to help if you say what you have and what you want to put in it.