Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smog on a former diesel that the DMV knows is converted to gas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, May 19, 2003.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i wanted to purchase an 81 longbed 3/4ton . it WAS a diesel but was converted to gasoline. the delima is the doesnt know if it is registered as a diesel or a gas. the previous owner told the DMV that it was converted.. does this mean that smog applies to it? any input is appreciated.

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Wow... I'm glad we don't smog in Michigan. Everything that I read on here about all of the smog issues just seems like a huge PITA...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Going to have to talk to your state inspection place.

In THIS state, when you convert a diesel, the title, the fuel tank, fuel door sticker, and fuel gauge all have to be changed to reflect unleaded use, and on top of that, all emissions equipment has to go with the gas engine you install, which also has to be as new or newer than the vehicle you are installing it in. In other words, no 1974 gas engine in place of a 1985 diesel.

And even diesels are smogged here, because of people abusing the system, buying diesels and converting them to gas to bypass emissions testing.

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Why in God's name would you want to take out a Diesel and put in a gasser??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Like was said before, call your state inspector. When I did mine, that was my biggest worry was emmisions. I put a 79 400sb in place of a 6.2 in my 82. Rules here say to have all smog equipment for the year of the vehicle. You can use any engine as long as the smog junk is there. Basically all I have on it is smog pump, kept true duals with a cat. on both pipes, gas filler flapper thing, non-venting gas cap. EGR and vapor canister not required here. State guy was VERY helpful during inspection, gave me some good tips to pass sniffer test. Failed it first time anyway though. Easy fix, leaned out carb, installed hotter plugs and played with the timing. Passed no problems. Not sure what Cali laws are, but I know your state is the worst when it comes to smog laws. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Good luck! Sam

6. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys. i checked out the DMV website and it said that i could get information for any vehicle that i was planning on buying. all i had to do was give them the VIN and plate #'s and $5. as it turns out, DMV has it as a 3/4 6.2 liter diesel. the only problem with that is there are more expenisive fees for the weight of the truck. either way, the DMV seems to get ya EVERYTIME. thanks again.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Why in God's name would you want to take out a Diesel and put in a gasser??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called horsepower. Something that you won't understand until you get a gasser. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif