Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog on my 87 but no smog on my dad's 89

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Smog on my 87 but no smog on my dad\'s 89

Why is it that my 87 Jimmy 350 TBI has the air pump but my fathers 89 350 TBI doesn't. Both have stock motors, and no, the 89 hasn't been molested and had the pump ripped off. THis is the second 89 that doesn't have it. My buddies 89 doesn't have it either. I'm just wondering becuase I would have thought if the 87 did anythign after would definitly have it. And, since both are computerized, would I hurt anything if I just took all that smog junk off? What would I do with the little wire harness that goes to the smog pump? I'm just wondering and it kinda has me stumped on why my 87 has it and 89 doesn't. Also, both have been Maine trucks all their lives, not like my 87 was shipped from California so I can't imagine that it would have the California smog package on it. Thanks for anyone that can give me some info.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Smog on my 87 but no smog on my dad\'s 89

Thats kinda interesting. Never thought about it before, but you are right, the TBI manifolds I have in the garage are not equipped for AIR.

Only way around that is to reduce emissions some other way. Curious, do you have a small pipe running to your catalytic converter? (most earlier trucks don't I guess)

The emissions stuff, the only things you can remove without affecting anything else are pretty much the cat converter and the AIR stuff. AIR *should* not be monitored by the ECM, unplugging the harness and watching for codes would be tell tale. IMO there is not reason to pull the stuff if its still working. It doesn't cost you enough power to even think about.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

That smog stuff is weird. My 91 has no AIR but our 89 IROC does. I was looking at an 87 the other day and it had the AIR. I guess they quit putting them on blazers in 88 or so.

4. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

I bet they reduced the emmisions on the trucks somewhere in there or something or did some other form of a pump maybe integrated? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK guys you need a guy from California to answer this one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Federal trucks didn't require the AIR, California did.
    I think that it also applied to cars but I am not sure.
    So if you don't have AIR then your truck is federal.
    Be glad

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have an '89 and it has no AIR and it doesnt specify it anywhere on the emissions sticker and I have California Emmisions.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 89 blazer does not have a pump and it is california emissions not federal.

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Kinda a wierd deal i think...most 87's and 88's i've run across have the air pump....as 87 had the semi serp belt set up...meaning the alt had a ir pump and the rest was v belt...after those two years it seems the only way to recieve the air pump was to have a standard trans or cali emissions...howevr i'm not sure on the cali emissions though.

Azblazer

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Does anyone have a 89 WITH AIR?
    Maybe 89 was the cut off year for using the AIR with TBI.
    I know for a fact that you don't need it with TBI, maybe they realised it too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The AIR system was never mandated by the Feds, just the emissions levels they had to meet. I would suspect that they changed something else in the fuel map, the warm-up cycle, or they went to a different catalytic converter design that let them get by without the system.

11. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I guess it's one of Gm's many mysterys. I do NOT have a tube running to my cat and never did. Just the lines running into the first exhaust runner on each bank. It just makes me mad to look under my dad's hood and see more space becuase of no smog pump. When I rebuild my motor I'm going to leave it off if it won't mess with the computer. Thanks guys I was just wondering about it and keep the thoughts coming.
    Ben 87 Jimmy