Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog problems? Maybe this will help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Feb 25, 2003.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I thought I'd post this. Who knows, maybe someone else is having the same problem. I have 5 one ton trucks (construction company) and am always having problems smogging them. If it doesn't pass one place, I take it to another and it does. I thought the machines were all screwey, but it turns out the mechanics were entering the wrong GVWR. You'd think a mechanic would know a little more about trucks, but some don't. They were either entering it as a 1/2 ton or entering the curb weight of the vehicle, not the GVWR. I just figured this out today with the mechanic at the smog station. It failed as a 3/4 ton and passed as a 1 ton. The sticker on the edge of the door has the info. If you're missing that (like I was) bring your owners manual, there will be a page which decodes the VIN #, the 4th letter denotes the GVWR. I know most of you guys have 1/2 ton Blazers so this won't really apply, but I thought I'd mention it for the 3/4 and 1 ton guys.

I asked the mechanic if I showed him the Dana 60 and 14 Bolt under my Suburban, would he test it as a 1 ton? He said get the sticker on the door of my dually or he'd test it as a 1/2 ton next time!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Atleast he knows what a Dana 60 and 14 Bolt are.

Eric M.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Next time I am at pick n pull I will get one of the 1 ton trucks and stick it to my blazer, you think they will notice?

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You know, that's a good idea. Tell them to enter the GVWR correctly and point out the sticker. The allowances are much higher from 1/2 to 3/4 and 3/4 to 1 ton as far as emissions are concerned. And any 1/2 ton is going to have atleast all the smog components as a 1 ton.

Let us know how it works.

Eric M.

(Geez, I hope the Calif. DMV doesn't monitor this site ... both you and I'll have to move outta state if we piss off the Mighty Powers that be!)

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, that's a good idea. Tell them to enter the GVWR correctly and point out the sticker. The allowances are much higher from 1/2 to 3/4 and 3/4 to 1 ton as far as emissions are concerned. And any 1/2 ton is going to have atleast all the smog components as a 1 ton.

Let us know how it works.

Eric M.

(Geez, I hope the Calif. DMV doesn't monitor this site ... both you and I'll have to move outta state if we piss off the Mighty Powers that be!)

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I don't have a problem with that, I can move /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my rig has 1 ton axles... i oughta get me a lil door sticker. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend took his one ton in yesterday up here. (WA)

Failed idle CO's first go-round, so he checked plugs, added 25% denatured alcohol, and then failed idle HC's. (barely, the alcohol sent him in the right direction though, a little more tuning and he'd have passed) For those that don't live in WA, you pay once, and test twice, but only if you need to, after "tuning" or "repair".

He got pissed, went to a station not 20 miles away, and passed with "flying colors" with no other changes from the last failure.

His readings were WAY down (they print them on your "receipt") at the second station. Same driving distance from his house to first station, so engine temp wasn't a factor.

As I suspected, it's a complete racket (at least here). Just never had concrete proof like this. To top it all off, the first station's receipt showed version 1.4, the second, version 1.5, for whatever thats worth (or means).

Since our testing stations are private, you can rest assured they only care about making money, not how clean your vehicles tailpipe really is.