Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog pump broke?; Qjet inlet size; fuel pump outlet; water neck thing? HEI rebuild kit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Jul 6, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Was putting engine back together last night (mid 70s 400) and noticed the smog pump will turn one complete turn one way then lock, turn 1 complete turn other way then lock. Is it supposed to do that?

What size thread is the fuel inlet on the Qjet? Its the piece that holds the filter in.

Also thread size on fuel pump fuel outlet to the carb. Oh ya, also stupid question on new fuel pump install...(please don't laugh if I did it wrong lol) Instructions said to use grease on and around fuel "arm". I used high heat bearing grease.... is this going to be ok?

Is there such a thing as a rebuild kit for an HEI dist.? Replaced cap and rotor and noticed metal thing around coil is rusty, and parts inside on top are kinda nasty looking.

And lastly, what the heck is the thing that looks like a PCV valve with two vacuum hoses coming off of it sticking out of the water neck? Got some other stuff on the Intake too that I don't know what they are for. Wish I could post a pic but I'm at work today. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanks for the help fellas!!! Sam

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well, the question is wether you are or aren't going to have to pass emissions. Is this is a non emissions application (off-road only), then you can ditch the pump and plug all the lines. You can also throw a block off plate on the EGR (if applicable). If you have to pass, then get a another pump that works. You're abosuletly positive it won't move past one turn?

The little deal on your water neck is a TVS (Thermal Vacuum Switch). It shuts off vacuum advance until things warm up. There's a little pellet in there that moves when heated (similar to thermostat).

The grease will be fine.

You can just buy a whole new coil if you think a changed is warranted. I would recommend a genuine GM coil or the MSD version of the HEI coil, not the parts store cheapy.

What do you need to know about the thread sizes on the fuel fitting for?

Post some pics and we can tell you where to put everything.

3. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately I do have to pass emissions. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Are smog pumps rebuildable? Is the TVS needed? I went with an Edelbrock intake and new chrome waterneck. Theres a hole in the intake on each side of the waterneck, can I put it in one of those holes if I need it? I need the thread sizes so I can put a fitting in em to run the fuel line.

Thanks!!

4. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You don't have the original fuel line? Why not just get one from a junkyard or buy a new one from a parts store? If it is the same setup as stock that will work. If it is a different setup from stock, then you should probaby measure the thread sizes yourself instead of asking what the stock sizes are. Maybe I missed something?

6. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Factory fuel line is 3/8 line. a 3/8 hose will fit over it if needed. It takes a 5/8 wrench to tighten it down. sometimes the brakebooster hard line is the same.
    Intake holes are 1/2 pipe thread NPT. put your heater hose fitting in one hole and put your tvs in the other hole IF you can find the right adapter. I have no idea of the thread size on that tvs valve thing.
    blake