Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smog pump.....is it needed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87'k5boggin, Jan 21, 2007.

1. 87'k5boggin

87'k5boggin Registered Member

i have a 87' gmc jimmy with a 350,700r4,np208,10bt front and rear with 4.11's. i was wondering if all the smog crap is needed and if not what do i need to take off, also will it have more power?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Consensus seems to be you don't need it. At least in regards to the ECM operation. Rarely does it seem people have a problem when removing it with vehicle operation. Not saying it can't or won't, just that common experience is it works fine without. (of course how many posts exist saying my TBI truck doesn't run quite right)

You won't see any power from removing it. All of the smog stuff added up doesn't take enough power to be concerned with, and both EVAP and EGR contribute somewhat to mileage, so it actually may be detrimental to remove.

If it works, leave it. If it's rotted and obviously not working right already, I'd pull it. Don't expect to ever put the pump back on though, they don't seem to handle storage very well. I can't emphasize enough that if the system is not working correctly already (leaks, etc) then you very well may see the vehicle run better...but that is NOT because you removed a properly working component.

And if you live near somewhere that DOES have emissions testing, you will have a hard time selling it to people that live there.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Well lets put it this way, as soon as I moved out of california I removed my smog pump, the air injectors, pluged the exhaust where the air injectors went, removed my egr, and installed a "non-smog" carb. and my Blazer has never been happier....I do still run a free flow after market cat tho...haven't gotten around to removing that. don't know if i ever will unless it causes me problems...

But my Blazer is an 1982..there for no computer...yours being a 87 most likely has a computer so I have no ideal what effect it would have on yours....???

4. 87'k5boggin

i just pulled the belt off of the pump and cant tell to much of a difference?

5. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i just pulled all of it off of mine. it wasnt workin so off it came!!!!

6. 87'k5boggin

im going to pull the hole pump and every thing to unclutter the engine compartment i think i have to plug up somthing, am i right if not tell me what i need to do....... also pics are nice.
    thanks,
    Caleb