Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog pump Woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MOTORHEAD, Apr 16, 2003.

1. MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD Registered Member

truck blew real clean yesterday but failed the "visual" due to no smog pump. Guess owner before me took it off and I didn't pay any attention to the fact that it needed one till now. My question is, The headers on the truck are new, don't want to spend another 400-500 dollars for chevy exhaust manifolds, if I was to get a smog pump, diverter valve set up could I run the air tube into a welded on pipe into my Y-pipe right before the CAT? Much like a ford mustang 5.0 set up? I have a CAT and heard they foul real fast without a a.i.r pump set up. Anyone have any ideas or solutions?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ya might want to let people know what state you are in so you get the correct information.

3. MOTORHEAD

DOH! that would be Northern Va.

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

And let us know what type and year your vehicle is. My 90 Blazer doesn't have a smog pump BUT the bracket is still there and I live in the "Peoples Republic of California."

Dan...

5. MOTORHEAD

88 350 TBI K5

6. MOTORHEAD

My bud's 91 is without as well. That's why I didn't pay any attention to it. I've seen 90-91 blazers without it, bone stock.

7. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

If you fill out your profile folks will be able to see where you live and be able to check out your vehicle details. That goes a long way when asking for help.
    David

8. MOTORHEAD

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif consider it done, Sorry 'bout that.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought this was covered not to long ago (which year TBI's had AIR, I thought some years didn't have it, can't find the post though).

Since you failed visual, I'm hoping the inspection station was correct. If they were, you will most likely have to run the AIR just like factory. If you have to fix it, you might as well make it correct the first time, eh? I'd hate to go back and have them fail you again after spending the time to fix it, only for them to tell you its wrong.

You'll most likely be best off finding out from someone on here, which exhaust ports got AIR injection on your year. Either that, or HOPE you get a halfway intelligent person at the emissions station that can tell you how it needs to be to pass. Don't even know if they'll let non-certified headers pass if you make them AIR compatible. I can just imagine them following the letter of the law and not the intent.

10. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Here's my take on the situation. My 87 TBI 350 Jimmy has an air pump, my dad's 89 Blazer TBI 350 does not, BUT it DOES have the bracket for it. It seems to me that the 87 and 88 TBI's had a smog pump, but the 89-91 didn't. As for how you route it, my truck and your most likely only have air going to either the manifold or atmosphere, they didn't have the 3 way catalytic converter so you didn't have any air going to your cat even from factory. My truck with stock manifolds has an air passage to every cylinder on both banks. The manifolds recieve air from the pump when it's cold to about 140-160 degrees, then the bypass valve directs the pumps air to the atmosphere. I'd double check to make sure you truck had the pump from factory but I'm betting it did.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

I've never seen a TBI Chevy with an air pump, and I live in Cali. Is you emissions routing sticker still under the hood?

12. MOTORHEAD

Well, I contacted the DEQ of Va. and this is what one of the case officers told me on the phone " well, it says in this book here that only Ca Trucks of that year needed a smog pump... wait... in this other book its telling me that all 88's had smog pumps" they tried running my VIN # to see what was up and they have no record of my truck (?) Seems the inspector entered the wrong VIN #. Now they want me back to perform another test and "look" at my truck. Do we live in a Orwellian society or what? Hell, my tail pipe emissions were well below national standards, WTF!

13. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'm glad I live in Louisiana. The place I go to get inspections doesn't even look at my emissions. But for the record, my 88'K5 tbi did come with factory smog pump, but I yanked it out because I didnt like all those hoses around the engine, made it too hard to get to stuff. So I pulled it out. Good luck passing inspection.

14. dyeager535

Well, if they can't get it straight, you need to get a copy of the GM parts manual for your year, from the emissions section. I'm guessing the '88 manual would be the same or similar to my '85/86 parts manual: the page lists the year, body style, engine size, RPO code, and all emissions equipment.

You *might* be able to get them to accept that data, if they can't figure it out for themselves. This is why emissions is so ridiculous, way too much is up to the individual inspectors discretion, when all that SHOULD matter is tailpipe readings. If you pass, you pass. So if you passed with no emissions equipment, reinstalling it helps the intent of the law how?

15. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY Registered Member

To make things more interesting I went to the local book store and scanned through a Chiltons to get some info. There is a whole section on this with vac. hose/emission info. Seems that 88's with a "K" vin only have smog pumps on Manual Tranny's. Auto's don't have the smog pump. Chevy is kind of wacky, they kinda threw things on anything, mixed model years depending on when your truck was made. For instance putting new engine mounts in my 88 (early 88) the 88 mounts were wrong. 87's fit my truck. I'm going to take a copy of the chiltons and show the tech. Another thing, when the tech entered my truck in the computer DMV system he entered the wrong vin #. Smog police had the hardest time finding my truck and told me it's not in their system. Go figure!

16. dyeager535

But you are getting into gray area. Technically the '88 "K" truck is the new body style. An '88 "old" body style (Blazer for instance) is R/V. Hence the problem with the motor mounts I'd bet.

I don't trust chiltons, way too generic in most cases, however, if the tech will accept that, more power to you!

GM put the least amount of emissions equipment on the vehicle that was federally mandated, (hence TBI so late on trucks, and no TPI either I bet) which keeps their cost down, your cost down, and increases their profits. Thus you'll see different emissions components based on year, GVW, 2 or 4wd, tranny, and so on.

The only motivating factor for GM is how to sell more vehicles. How things are actually put together/whats included is a concern for probably about 5% of the auto buying public.