Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog Pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by -Jaden-, Aug 6, 2000.

1. -Jaden-

-Jaden- Newbie

I am getting ready to replace the motor in my 84 and noticed it has a pump off some sort just under the alternator, I can only assume this is the dreaded smog pump. Dumb question but is it illegal to remove this when I reinstall the new motor?

2. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

go for it dude!?...:)

3. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

illegal, I do believe so. But, so is speeding. =) As long as your state doesn't inspect under the hood for emmisions equipment, who cares? So, my answer is "Smog pump, what smog pump?"

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

4. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

does that pump actually do anything, or is it just another Gov. regulation?.....i.e. catalytic convertor.....

5. CrazeeBush

6. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

jaden, let me know if you are going to rip the pump off, im moving to cali, and i might need it to pass emissions, do any of you cali guys know if its needed, the truck currently passes emissions in az without it, but i heard cali emissions are a b!*@h.

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I moved from Az to CA a while back. 86 or 87 I think. If you let me know what this thing looks like and where it is, I will go see if there is one on my k5.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MTR, 15x10 Bajas

8. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

84, i dont know what it looks like cause i dont have it, but did you pass emissions easily when you moved? also how were they about the lift and other mods?

9. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I put a new motor in my 85 and left the smog pump off. just be sure that you remove the emissions sticker uder the hood.
    We have the sniffer test here and the Blazer pased fine w/o it. I also have a bigger cam, Eld.intake, Holly carb.
    It's all about the tuning.
    good luck

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

When we moved over here I was only 2 years old, so I have no idea what was done to the Blazer at that time. Sorry.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MTR, 15x10 Bajas

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I beleive Ca. does a vision test if they do not see the emmision compenet that they are looking for, you fail the test
    even if you tailpipe emmisions pass the sniffer test, which is an easiy task if the motor is detuned/tuned.
    Good luck

12. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Yes, its illegal, yes they look for it durring the visual, and yes they will fail you if its missing, then if you fail, you have to take it to one of the recommended mech.s to fix it. Plus in the metropolitan areas, LA, San Diego, and most of the state, they put the rear up on teh dyno rollers, and measure levels at two or three speeds, with the load of the drive train on it. Yes CA emmisions are a bitch, if it conforms to the CA emmisions now, keep all of it, or else you'll have to pay a huge one time fee for a non conforming vehicle. Keep everything if you're coming to CA, i spent 15 min arguing that mine never came with a cat, which it didn't, but the book said it was optional, i knew the guy so he didn't give me a hard time, but i've had friends get screwed because the guy at the gas station was an idiot.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

13. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The air injector pump pumps compressed air into the exhaust to thin out the exhaust mixture to reduce back firing into the manifold and to reduce the amount of hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in the exhaust.

14. CrazeeBush