Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog Pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, I need to change my fuel pump, and the smog pump is in the way. I think I will have to remove it to get the new pump in place. If I don't reinstall the smog pump with it cause any problems with the motor. Beside not being emmisions legal. (I will reinstall before the next emission test). But I am wondering if it will hurt the motor or if it is something i have to leave on to make the motor run right. Thanks

Harley

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I've tossed mine with no ill effects.

John

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The main problem that I've heard from people that have removed them, then tried to put them back on at inspection time, is that they tend to rust solid when not used. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So to pass inspection, they have to go buy a new pump. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's a high volume, low pressure pump, so it takes very little power to run it. Since the state will insist that you have it anyway, I'd just leave it there. Might save you some cash and aggravation in the long run. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

My '86 runs with out one, have been with out it about 2 years now problems. As for emmissions I do not have them here where I live so I dont have to worry

LooksBack