Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog question (out of state registration)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, Nov 12, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

how difficult is it to own a vehicle that is registered out of state? my dad suggested registering it in a state that dosen't have smog laws like Cali and i got to thinking about it... what about oregon or Georgia? i know people there, anyone have input on this?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Umm, it would be illegal I'm sure. You've got something like 3 or 6 months in WA to change your plates over to WA once you move here.

Do all CA counties have testing, or just the large metro areas? Here its only in counties with X number of people, so not all have testing. THAT is not illegal, since you can live in one place, and stay at another, etc., and still be in the same state.

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

in Cali we have different requirements for diff areas of the state. For something that will help US out, we should be looking for the "Change of ownership only" areas. Where smogs are required ONLY when changing ownership. The rest of the state requires smog checks, but I'm not going to get into detail with the differences.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I know a lot of people that have trucks registered in different states, they have to have an address there though, so if you have someone that can register it for you you will be OK but it will be in their name. And the only problem would be that if you get pulled over by a cop, the first time you can say I just came here, but now he has his eyes on you and you have I think ten days in CA to register it. So as long as you are not asked, or pulled over you are OK.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

not worth the trouble. Get a 77 or later Federal vehcile or a 73 and older and bypass Smog all together.

6. Waxer

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    not worth the trouble. Get a 77 or later Federal vehcile or a 73 and older and bypass Smog all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

That option doesn't help anyone with vehicles outside those years. The easiest way to get around Cali smog is to get yourself a P.O. Box in one of the "Change of ownership Only" areas, and change your address with the DMV to that P.O. box. You can also have your mail forwarded at the P.O. so that it still comes to your house.

Hardest part with that is driving to the Post Office and getting the PO box.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, and with this plan... would the DMV ask why i'm using a PO box? and if not.... if i got pulled over and a cop asks why it's registered to a po box far away and my liscence saya the city that i'm pulled over in wouldn't he get suspicious? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about doing something similar. I was gonna have my brother who lives in TX register my truck for me in his name. That way if I got pulled over I could say we switched cars temporarily or something like that. My thinking was that if it wasn't in my name, I couldn't get in trouble for not switching it over to cali tags.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

registered to a po box far away and my liscence saya the city that i'm pulled over in wouldn't he

[/ QUOTE ]
    They'd say bend over boy!!!!!!

Get a 6.2 and change it over.

10. Waxer

ok, and with this plan... would the DMV ask why i'm using a PO box? and if not.... if i got pulled over and a cop asks why it's registered to a po box far away and my liscence saya the city that i'm pulled over in wouldn't he get suspicious?

[/ QUOTE ]

No and no. But do whatever you want, I know what works and what I'm going to do as soon as I get my lazy ass out there.