Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Mar 24, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just smogged my k5 cause I have to register in Cali now. It passed but barely.

I live in an enhanced county so I have to do the dyno testing. here are the results.

timing 0 tdc
    15 mph / rpm-1460, hc-118, co-.28%, no-808 max / 120-.74%-1045

25 mph / rpm-1408, hc-74, co-.31%, no-595 max / 92-0.93%-1040

The hc and no at 15 mph are what concern me they are really close to the limit. I need and oil change could this be causing the high readings or possibly my cat is going bad. I drove the truck for about 15 min before I went to the test station and only sat for maybe 2 min waiting to go in. I have 2 years before I have to do it again so it is not a big concern right now. Oh yeah the engine has 179, 815 miles on it could that be why hc and no are high. Thanks.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Anybody? No body?

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Wait, it passes? Whats the problem? I think it will fail because the timing is out of spec, I think its supposed to be at 6* +/- 3*. What does it say on the underhood label? You want the cat good and hot before you smog it.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

87 is FI underhood label says 0 tdc for timing checked with ecm disconnected. I do not know if they actually did that part. I was rather surprised because I timed it the redneck way by listening. I do not own a timing light. Shouldn't the ecm control the timing anyway? Yes it did pass I got my new plates today I was just concerned about the high HC and was wondering what some of the culprits could be.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

First thing I would say is to see what the timing is at. They will check it and if its out of spec, they'll fail you. ECM does control the timing retard, but you have to set base timing.