Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog removal question, and shorty suggestions needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djhn9, Sep 16, 2005.

1. djhn9

djhn9 Registered Member

Hi everybody,
    This is my very first post, although I've been reading up on everything on here for awhile. Anyway,.. I am considering removing my smog from my 87 k5 w/305tbi. I've heard different stories on the difficulty level. Is it just a matter of removing the A.I.R. tubes, smog pump, and replacing the manifolds? Or is it more complicated than that? This is my everyday work truck,.. so it can't be down for more than a day.

I'm also wanting to replace the stock manifolds (passenger side has recently cracked and left a hole you could put your finger in) and I have come to the conclusion that I will be wanting to use Shorty headers (after smog removal). Will just about any shorty for a SBC work, or can I possibly get some suggestions of some that would involve the easiest installation? Cash is an issue, so Thorley's are out of the question. I will also be using the local exhaust shop to make me a new y-pipe. I do currently have 3.5" behind the y-pipe back, along with a hi-flow cat and a flowmaster.

I appreciate any input and suggestions. THANX!!!

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I removed the smog from my 350;

1) remove A.I.R. pump
    2) find some bung plugs to go into the exhaust manifolds (or just cut them and weld it shut)

I forget what I did for the wiring and vacuum lines, but some stayed and some got removed.

3. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Before you go and remove smog this being your DD. Have you checked local emissions laws?

4. djhn9

djhn9 Registered Member

Yeah,.. I live in Indiana,... We don't have any kind of emissions tests. I'm actually planning on moving to Kentucky within the next couple years,.. I don't think they even have any lift laws.

5. djhn9

djhn9 Registered Member

Any suggestions on the headers?? I don't wanna order something and find out that it doesn't fit afterwards,........

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Wish I could help there, but I've been wondering the same thing

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Please don't do it, its really not worth it, is it ?
    It is a Federal Law called Tampering.
    And all states have it.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Easiest way is smog legal headers or even a factory manifold . Northern Kentucky has emissions tests . Sooner or later all the areas that don't across America WILL . :D

9. uglyangelracing

Just curious about the whole idea so I did a google search. Indiana says they do have smog test and they read almost same as Cali. Plus there is a part about removal of smog equipment.

10. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I was removing stuff on my 81 and bolting all back on every 2 years for smog in Cali. Till I got a 73 K20 and now dont worry about it. I bought smog legal headers that had the holes to bolt in the smog pump tubes. I got some plugs from hardware store. You can just plug the Vacuum, and take off smog pump. Tho all it is doing is costing the power it takes to spin a pulley. Mine was a 81 Blazer with built 383 that would barely pass with all the smog equipment hooked up.

11. djhn9

djhn9 Registered Member

Okay,.......... my next question is,.... who makes the most affordable smog legal headers??..... I'd hate to buy a new manifold ($100) and then the other one crack (another $100) and have more $$ in the manifolds than headers.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I haven't seen too many "cheap" smog legal headers... edelbrock makes shorties with AIR but they'll run you 350 bucks. I've always wanted to punch holes in my afterburners and make them smog legal...

all you have to do is drill a couple holes and weld in a few bungs.

why do you want to dump the smog stuff? you won't gain more than 10 hp. the only thing holding it back is the manifolds.

13. djhn9

djhn9 Registered Member

I may end up having to do exactly as you said. I was just trying to keep the costs down as low as possible.

14. djhn9

djhn9 Registered Member

Anybody use these? If not,.. will these work?? I am somewhat mechanical,.. but still get confused trying to buy aftermarket items.

FLOWTECH HEADER for a 1987 CHEVROLET TRUCK V10 BLAZER 4WD
    Unit Price: $244.99
    Core Value*: $0.00
    Part No.: 49152SFLT
    Weight: 31.0 lbs.
    Warranty: 3 MO
    Availability: Online: Special Order
    Store: Special Order
    Note:

WITH A.I.R. MANIFOLD WELDED IN PLACE, REMOVE RUBBER STOPPER, MUST MODIFY STOCK EXHAUST TO RETAIN CATALYTIC CONVERTER, WITH OXYGEN SENSOR USE REDUCER OF 2.5" OR 3" FOR 3 BOLT FLANGE, WILL NOT FIT ANGLE PLUG HEADS, EMISSION CODE 3-AMBER, NOT LEGAL FOR STREET USE.

15. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Well says not legal for street use. Do they already have the holes to plug in the AIR tubes or will you be adding those?? Give Summit Racing a call or check out www.summitracing.com Usually even if they dont list an item they carry it.

16. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I agree with that, but by the time that happens, our vehicles will be too old for the lawmakers to care. :D

ARAMP1

17. uglyangelracing

Here in Mass. it use to be if your vehicle was more than a certain number of years old you didnt need to pass emissions. Until they started IM240 now its 1984 for good. Sucks owning an 85 now.

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I run flowtech afterburners but only because they were 140 bucks and i'm not even gonna try to get this thing to pass smog until 2007...

temporary registration :D

If i were you i'd just spend the extra 100 and get the shorties. sounds like a big PITA to install em and keep the catalitic converter and O2 sensor.

If i had the money i'd be running shorties with A.I.R.

19. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd be careful removing smog stuff with TBI. You might need to burn a new chip to tell the computer that AIR is gone. I know the computer needs to know if EGR is removed. It can be done, but it's not as easy as with a carb where you can just tear the crap off and chuck it into a box.

I removed a bunch of smog stuff from my 83 because I wanted a clean, simplified engine compartment. All the tubes and vacuum hoses are a nightmare. When I got it all off and put the Edelbrock carb on, I couldn't believe the power increase. I doubt it's because there is much power robbed by properly functioning smog crap, but it's such a mess and hard to troubleshoot.

The other thing is that some stuff I considered to be smog stuff turned out to be valuable for cold weather functioning. In the end I went to TBI and it's probably cleaner than it was with the carb plus smog junk - but I'd never be legal in PRK.