Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smog requirements for 1976

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by virgilh, Apr 24, 2006.

1. virgilh

virgilh 1/2 ton status

does anyone know where i need to look for what is needed on my engine for smog. i could get a bootleg but i want to own something that is legal :D i have the smog pump and the air rails on the motor i have the air cleaner with the thermo deal on it the charcol canister is on it but i do not know where to hook it up to any help will be appreciated. o yea its a california truck with a 4 speed and a 350 1/2 ton

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I didnt know that all that crap was on the old trucks... dayum cali!!!! :haha:

seriously im not sure but what about just trying? I failed emmissions then used a can of the Guaranteed to pass.. will be using it again this december to pass..... just in case... you have to read the directions.. you dont just put it in and go get inspected......:crazy:

3. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

but it wont pass visual inspection but you might get a list from them though.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used to have a 1976 blazer (federal emissions) it had PCV, Charcoal canister, thermostatic air cleaner (TAC), i think the cali emissions also need the air injection pump (AIR) and that's it.

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you will need egr also, my 74 had that on it

6. virgilh

virgilh 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help i really do not have time to go twice plus im sorta a stress biscuit so if it doesnt pass ill not be sleeping untill the next monday when i am not working to try again i thought it was a 75 it was first sold in 75 but i just rushed in to getting this toy notw i guess im paying the price. as for the egr i thought only cars had then untill 1978 when the trucks had them. since a blazer is a 2 door wagon it falls under the car catagory? what about the cat converters? do i need one of those? this truck had duals w/o the cats. maybe i should just green sticker it? :D thanks again for all the help is there a web site i could look at to get more info?

7. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Don't stress on it. You're going to need an egr valve, with a ported vacuum signal. They are going to test the tailpipe emissions, and whether the EGR valve works. If you can pull up on the diaphram on the egr and the engine stumbles, the valve works and the passage is clean. I'm not sure about you needing a Cat way back then, probably not. Do a lean drop on the carb, make sure the timing with the hose off the distributor is 4 before, and it's running on all 8 and you should be good. The AIS will only help but they won't make sure it works unless it doesn't pass the first time. How does it run? Also make sure it comes up to 180 degrees on the temp, that only helps. Run a can of whatever special "carbon eliminating" stuff the zone has through the carb well before you take it in and ask for a pre inspection. Hang in there, once the governator's gone, 1976 will be exempt like my 72. Bottom line is that if it runs like crap it ain't gonna pass. Tighten the bolts on the carb too. That's a very common place for a chebby to leak air and therefore run lean. Good luck.