Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SMOG STORY..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Dec 19, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Well i know I had a post here a while ago about this but I needed to just put out there what happened to me last week.

First I bring it into an auto shop across from my work that claims that they Smog and Pre-smog vehicles. Well I brought it in and told them to do the pre-smog, then if it passes go ahead and Smog it. They said they could do both and I left.

Second, The dreaded call came and they said I had FAILED all categories as well as my "check engine light" not working. So they quoted me $360.00 for a new catalytic converter and $60.00 for a DIAGNOSTIC to see what was wrong with my check engine light. He also said that there could be something wrong with the computer or it could be a bulb.

Third thing- I immediately told them not to touch my truck and I would call them back.

Fourth, I get on coloradok5 and was told by different people how to pass and how to trouobleshoot the problems with the engine light.

fifth- I call them back and tell them that i am picking my truck up and not to do anything to it. The Mechanic then tried feverishly to talk me into the diagnostic and I told him to pound sand.

sixth - I take the engine light out and put it back in and "wallla" it works.

I then immediately drive it to a test only shop and got it tested again and it passed no problem.

Moral of story. Watch out for Evil mechanics trying to screw you right up the poop shoot!

Surfing is Life...

2. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Hey Jeromy,

That really sucks, but I am glad it worked out in the end. You might want to post the name and location of the station that tried to screw you so no one else has to go thru that. It's just a thought.

See Ya,
    Keith

<font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Man I'm amm so dreading on getting my truck smogged. I know it's not gonna pass. I guess I should change the check engine bulb too since I haven't seen that in ages. I also have to put on my stock snorkle and air cleaner. What a PITA!!!! I wonder how long I can drive it around with no current tags?[​IMG]

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is it possible that they messed with the check engine light?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

That's the first thing that popped into my mind. You might also think about reporting them to the state smog inspectors or the better business bureau. If they get enough compaints from unsatisfied customers they will be shut down. Wonder how many people they have screwed over [​IMG]

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

2 years at the very least.... I never got my sticker!

All I can say is find a shop where the owner loves trucks. I lucked out doing that and using alcohol. Passed first time!!

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

This is why I never let any one work on my truck but myself. If I do have someone work on it, Im right over there shoulder. I've taken it once to have the carb worked on, but the guy owns the shop so I trusted him. He overhauled the carb, completely redid the distributor, changed the plugs, and got my throttle cable from being so tight. He did it all for just under $400 and used Delco parts. He even showed my all the old stuff he took out. There a few good guys out there, but the bigger the shop, the more they could probably get away with.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Report them to Dept. of Consumer Affairs, that's the place that handles stuff like that. Estaban, you don't have to hook the whole stock air cleaner back up. Just the air cleaner with the preheater hose. That's the only thing needed. And if anyone tells you other wise, that's how mine gets tested and I go to a reputable shop that does everything legally, plus I know enough about the smog testing that I won't get screwed.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Well I got around with no tags for about 2 months[​IMG]! Bastard pulled me over on the way to work one morning[​IMG]. I had no clue it was due. I NEVER got a damn thing from the DMV.
    Smogged it yesterday, no problem and $30 for the Smog and $120 late fees and its now current...

10. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

There is a good chance of that Although I am not sure. It was loose and all it needed was to be re-seeded.

Surfing is Life...

11. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

Hey Estaban. Bring it by my shop in Moreno Valley the next time you go to Hemet and we'll get it smogged.

SMOG DAWG

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Drove my rig for 3 years with expired inspection! They key is to lift the truck high enough so that they can't see the sticker to start with! Actually, I found a real key is to not drive like an idiot or a teenager. Being Texas, cops don't have much of a problem with big trucks as long as they look and act legal.

I am dropping in a new 350 next weekend in mine and it won't have the AIR anymore. My inspection is up in May. Soooo.... I am taking it to get inspected and smogged tomorrow. That will give me a one year buffer before I even have to worry about it again. And, last week, I disconnected the belt to the smog pump. I am waiting to see if they pass it. If they pass it with the smog pump on and the belt off, there is no way they will realize somethings up when there isn't even a smog pump and AIR installed!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!