Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog stuff help !!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Oct 22, 2000.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Okay.. I brought home my 83 K5 w/ a 305 in it.. I was adding spark plugs tonight and replacing all the vacuum hoses. Why the hell are there so many vacuum lines for the smog system?
    My question is... Has anyone removed all the smog devices/hoses from their Blazers ? If so.. where do I start? I found at least 7 cracked and brittle vacuum lines.. I was wondering if I could just get rid of them all..
    I eventually plan on adding a new crate engine.. So I might as well start planning for it now..
    Any help is greatly appreciated.. as always. !!!

C:\Documents and Settings\ctrock98\My Documents\Katie2.jpg

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Rocko, whats with the new sig? All I can see is that its something called "Katie2.jpg". Are you trying to link a pic for your sig?

Do you have to go through a visual smog check where you live? If you do then I would leave all the vacuum crap on there and fix the cracked ones.

Someone did mine before I got it. The only vacuum lines I have are for the vacuum advance and the vacuum controls for the heater. Mine doesn't even have the carbon canister. No EGR either.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Texas doesn't have smog check yet.. So I figured I'd try to rip it out.. or maybe I should just wait til I replace the engine.
    Tonight I replaced about 7 bad vacuum hoses.. and put in new plugs and wires.. She run's like a champ now.. .

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

4. bart

bart Registered Member

I removed all but the vac advance and PCV (and power brake booster!) on my 84 with a 305...just be sure to cap all other ports on the carb and intake with plugs and caps, not screws stuck in hose!

It runs good now, for 195,000 miles! and almost all of the other vac lines were cracked and/or leaking in some way...

be sure to get the exhaust valve at the passenger side of the engine...make sure it's "open" and cap er off...
    you might also want to remove the belt from the a.i.r. pump, and take off the rubber hose that goes to the pump and each manifold, and just connect the manifolds together.

you might want to check your cat for blockage.

bart

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Bart... Greatly appreciated..
    I'll take a look at her tonight..

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Fyi, we don't do smog tests in our part of Texas, however they are supposed to do a visual check. 25 years old or older is supposed to be the cutoff for emissions testing in Texas, but this shop just failed my 74 Nova last month for not having any emission stuff hooked up. Oh well, I will just go to another shop. I don't understand, if it is exempt from testing, then why should they do a visual. Oh, just so you know, they do testing in Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston (I think) and some other places in Texas. Anyway my 2 cents worth. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks also to tRusty.. I'm going to see what I can do about all the smog stuff.. I'd like to get rid of the "what seems like hundreds" of vaccum lines.
    About my sig.. I was trying to add the picture of my new 83K5 in the message area.. But I guess it didn't work.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Texas is a small state, but the Federal Government can travel and they do.
    Go to your nearest pulic libary and find out what you missing.

You must already know about the Saftey Sticker ?

9. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

In Georgia we do not have emmissions checks and when I got my K5 the smog stuff was on there but it was disconnected. So I went through and cleaned all of it out. Engine has run great ever since. Just make sure you properly block off any holes you leave.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Atlanta does not have emmissions checks ?
    If is a Federal offense to remove an emmissions specific part, so I would'nt be advertising it !

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My 84 still has the vacuum advance, the line from the carb to the evap canister, and the thermo valve on the air cleaner still hooked up. Every thing else has been either disabled or disconnected.

If you decide to rid yourself of the emissions stuff, make sure you wire the EFE valve(below your passenger side exhaust manifold) open- otherwise you'll be forcing exhaust from the passenger side cylinders back through the motor.......Trust me, I know!!!!!

If you live in an area where your winters get cold, I would also recommend keeping the air temperature sensor and the vacuum-powered diverter valve hooked up on your air cleaner as well.