Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog Test Problems!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Esteban86K5, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

It's not a Blazer or an old body style truck but some of the same principles apply. My 93 Pickup is due for smog and won't pass.

The numbers on the HC @ 25 MPH are 57 and the most allowed is 50. This is the second test it failed. Last week I took it in and it failed by only 1 point. I changed the plugs and the O2 sensor and also ran some sea foam threw the tank. What surprised me is that is ran dirtier after I did all of that. So anyone have any insight on common problems that would make them high? The CO and NO numbers are a little higher than average but they passed.

This stuff is frustrating. Worst part is I have to take the motorhome in this week too. :crazy:

Thanks for any help.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Could the cat be bad? Does Seafoam do anything to the cat? I always thought high HC was a cat problem but I am no expert.

Ira

3. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

If your cat is old, throw in a new one. Mine also just barely passed. My cat is crapping out. The smog guy hooked me up. He kept running it until it passed by just retarding the timing. I need a new cat though. Mine is the original one since '86. Good luck man.

4. Esteban86K5

After reading a little and making a few calls I have a couple of options. I can replace the cat and then take it back to test it again. I'm not sure how much cats are yet but I'm sure they can't be too much and I can put it in myself. OR I can apply for the Consumer assistance Program which I qualify for since I was told I needed to go to a Test Only station. What the program does is gives me 500 in free smog repairs and certain repair shops. I have to pay 100 deductible and the state covers 500 in other repairs. It would make sense to go for the program if I knew that my cat was good. But if I can replace the cat for less and have it pass I would rather do that.

SO whatcha think I should do? Replace cat or apply for the program(which I will automatically get)?

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mudfrog I think is a vendor on here and has cats for cheap and has a CK5 discount. A cat for my K5 is under $70 with shipping.

Ira

6. Esteban86K5

I was looking at his and I called around locally and it seems like they are between 50 and 100 not installed. So I think I am just going to apply for that program and go with that. Then take it to the local repair shop and have them deal with it.:rolleyes:

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

$100 aint a bad deal really. For the program I mean.

Ira

8. Esteban86K5

I just broke down and got a new cat installed and it passed with flying colors.:D

Now I hope the motohome passes.:doah:

9. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

Told you:D

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Several years ago my '79 Seville just barely made it, with lots of "adjusting", but the Tech. did say something like "P.U., it needs a cat." So two years later with a new cat, super clean.
    Now my truck on the other hand...............
    I just hope the "LEGO MOTOR" runs clean.:haha: