Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smog time :(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhcomp, Sep 2, 2005.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok, so my truck is due for a smog check in the next month. 94 350tbi, shouldn't really have trouble passing, cept the timing isn't set at 0, its retarded a few degress.

Last time i had it smogged, they wouldn't test it with teh timing set like it was, so they set it to zero and checked it.

Then the motor started pinging on 87 octane, so i had to have someone else set it back again.

I know nothing about timing, but want to check my timing, set it to zero for the smog test, and then set it back.

How do you do this? What equipment do i need? Timing light im guessing?

Thanks guys!

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

All you need is a timing light and a distributor wrench. You could prolly get away with out the wrench but it is sooo much easier with it.

Ira

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

dont forget to disconnect the timing connector.

doesn't advance or auto zone lend out timing lights? probably set it in the parking lot there if you needed to.

ryan

4. dhcomp

hm, ok. I'll probably buy what i need from sears or something, because i'll probably save about $100 doing it myself anyways.

Is it an HEI setup, or Distributor setup? The autozone repair manual had both instructions....im guessing distributor

Also, what size dist wrench?
    Sears has the 9/16's

Do i need a light with advance? what exactly is it?
    Like, out of the three here, will the middle price one work, or do i need the expensive one?
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/sear...hresults&bidsite=CRAFT&vertical=SEARS&x=0&y=0

Thanks!

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

HEI is a distributor...the HEI usually refers to a non computer controlled large cap dist. with the coil in the cap. while the ignition on your truck is an HEI, usually not refered to as such. the computer controls the timing advance and retard. which is why it needs to be disabled (by the timing connector).

you will need a 9/16" wrench. buy the cheap one from advance or autozone that is a 1/2 on one end and 9/16 on the other.

ryan

6. dhcomp

thanks ryan :bow:

Do i need a timing light with advance feature?
    Also, when referring to turning the distributor, can someone give me a better idea about how you do that? Do you take the air cleaner off?

Sorry, i don't normally do much engine work.... :dunno:

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

you really dont need one with a timing advance on it...since your dist has no mechanical or vacuum advance....your computer adjusts all that. all you really need is to set the base timing. but then again i say spend the extra cash and get the timing advance, you never can tell when you might need it.

turning the dist is as easy as loosening the bolt and turning the dist. you may have to take the air cleaner off.

ryan

8. dhcomp

Ok, so i got the dist wrench and the timing light.

Now i know this makes me sound like a noob, but i guess i am.

Where the hell are the timing marks? I'm guessing on one of the front pulley's?

Its a 94 TBI 350.

Thanks guys!

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

They are by the Crankshaft pulley on the Drivers side of the block. They should be attached to the timing chain cover.

Ira