Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smogging 72 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dem, Sep 11, 2000.

1. dem

dem Registered Member

Had envirotest smog my 72 K5 and failed due to high CO, I leaned out the mixture and failed again with high hydrocarbons. I took it to repair shop and they told me they wouldn't work on it because the engine is modified and they wouldn't be able to pass smog(750 cfm edelbrock carb) I feel I am getting dicked around with. How are you getting your blazers to pass smog inspection? Will collector's plates avoid this situation? Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

first what state are you in. most let anything over 25 years old get by with a test thats it. but this changes state to state. even though I own a 72 that came with a v8 I have cant say what it had other than a PVC and the charcol filter by the battery. I think some had an air pump but not all. If the stock Q-jet is needed to pass and thats all go get one and put it on for the test, you could like it better any way (I hated my edelbrock cuse it did not like hills) If you think your getting dicked around then go to the staet and find out from them what you need to pass or dont need to pass then if you must take it to them to see if it does.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I live in Cali and 72 is exempt but when I did need to get it to pass the test I would simply install the air pump,stock air cleaner,heat riser, check valves and hoses! Then change the oil fill up the tank with 92octain then drive, for at least 20 miles to get EVERYTHING nice and warm. Pull in and it passed everytime! I run a Edelbrock Q-jet 750cfm.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

SOSA> What part of Tejas are you from?? I just bribe the inspector with an extra $20.00! LOL I have never heard of emmissions test being done in TEXAS anyways!

Blazin' in TEXAS!

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I'm in Austin, and I never said that they do testing where I am at, I just stated that they do emission testing in Texas. I believe Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, and San Antonio is where they do mandatory testing. However I did just have my 74 Nova failed for not having any emission stuff hooked up (visual). Oh well, I'll just take it to another shop. - Steve :)</font color=blue>
    http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pub/plsql/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=T&app=9&p_dir=N&p_rloc=20632&p_tloc=&p_ploc=1&pg=35&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=23&rl=42
    http://www.sosamantx.coloradok5.com/

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

7. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

nice to meet you, brother! I'm in Laredo, TX. , which is about 3 hours away from you!

Blazin' in TEXAS!