Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoke after idling for a while

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Nov 21, 2001.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My Burb has 186,000 miles on the engine. No blowby. At startup, smoke pours out of the pipes. It's not blue, it's more like it's white. I know you're thinking blown head gasket, but I don't think that's the case. It runs smooth, with a rare stumble at idle. After idling for more than 45 seconds, when I hit the gas, it blows some blue smoke out the exhaust pipe. What the hell is it??? I can't figure it out, but this beast does eat a quart of oil every 3 weeks or so. Could the rings be going bad??

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

remove your valve covers check the oil drain back holes they are more than likely filled with crud this causes the oil to build up and leak back thru the valve seals

4x4k20

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Sounds like K20 nailed it. If they are stopped up you can run a drill bit through the holes by hand, dont use a drill, and keep using bigger and bigger bits till you touch the casting. should clear it right up but change your oil quickly or you will stop up the screen in the oil pump.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

while you have your valve covers off buy the tools to replace your valve seals with the heads on. (fitting for compressor for spark plug holes, valve spring removal tool, beer) and put a set of umbrella valve seals to replace the ones that used to be on it (about 50,000 miles ago) and that may solve your problems.
    A valve job is a better fix but cost more.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>