Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smoke and plug problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Habez, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Habez

Habez Registered Member

My engine started smoking nicely lately. It has smoked on startup for a while, but now it's very noticable while running. With true dual exhaust, I know it's coming from the passenger side bank.

Pulled the plugs and the #6 cylinder had a closed gap. The terminals were actually pushed together to close it off. This has happened before when I changed my plugs a few months ago, but that time it was just not idling, changed the plugs and fixed it. I'm not sure if it was the same plug, but it was the same bank. That time it was either the #4 or #6 plug. The major smoking has happened since then, or at least I noticed it after that.

I haven't been able to play around with my engine much, so I don't know that much with it. I"m guessing I need some new valve seals. I am on a limited budget, and this is primarily a wheeling rig, so I don't need everything perfect, but not blowing lots of smoke constantly would be nice.

Any guesses as to what my problem would be and how to fix it? Thanks

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you had a closed gap that could cause smoke what color is the smoke? I would be trying to figure out why the plug was like that is it possible that some thing is in the combustion chamber?

3. Habez

Habez Registered Member

The smoke is white. I was hoping the smoke was from the plug, but after fixing the plug problem, it was still happening. ran it for a little bit, checked the plugs again, and the gap was still ok. I always run with an air filter, so chances are if something is in the combustion chamber, it is from the engine itself.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

automatic tranny??

If the smoke is white,it might be ATF thats being burned,not motor oil!..your modulator valve could have a ruptured diaphram ,letting ATF be sucked into the intake and burned--(and #4 or 6 is right near the vacuum fitting for the modulator)..If you have a 700R4,they dont use a modulator,so dont bother looking for one!..

Brake fluid can be burned in the engine if the power brake booster diaphram fails and lets vacuum suck the master cylinder dry,but you'd notice a loss of pedal by now most likely..

If your motor doesn't "use" much oil,it could be valve seals or guides letting enough drip in the cylinder while its not running ,to belch a big cloud out upon start up,and eventually foul the plug...

I've had "gap bridging" occour on motors that had a worn cam lobe on the intake valve too..it encourages oil to be sucked past the rings,since the valve isn't opening enough to suck in the fuel air mix from the intake manifold--also,if an exhaust valve isn't opening enough due to a worn cam lobe,that can cause a build up of exhaust gas and carbon that will clog up the spark plug electrodes eventually...time to pull the valve covers and see if all the rocker arms are moving the same distance!..---it could be piston,or ring damage too..:crazy: