Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoke at startup- seems like seals drying up? - what to do.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, it looks like Im getting a puff of smoke at startup. Doesnt seem like there's anything funky with the oil, or coolant to signify a head gasket. My take is its probably the stem seals dripping a few drops of oil.

So, if it were you, would you-

1. Keep driving it
    2. Get it fixed
    3. Look at it as a great way to upgrade the motor.

I've got a powertrain warranty on it , so its a great time to use it. Truck still seems to have plenty of power, but I guess could always use more! But if I dont have to have any downtime, that would be even better.

What do you guys think?

2. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Warrantee first, then after it is refreshed sell the motor on ebay and use the cash to buy a new/bigger one.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a powertrain warranty on it , so its a great time to use it

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats what i would do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

yeah, but if the next motor dies for some reason, They aint gonna cover it if its drastically different from a SBC. Most of these warranty guys arent exactly that smart (the field analysis guys). I want to as much as possible retain the SBC. What do you guys think is a reasonable build up of a stock motor? Heads, cams, intake? Already got the exhaust work done, so really, its just that. Am I missing anything?

5. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Last time I checked if you do anything to the motor with the exception of spark plugs, air filter and oil filter you will void your warrentee. So a new intake would be out of the question as well as a bigger carb or TBI.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Shh. what they cant see wont hurt them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Last time I checked if you do anything to the motor with the exception of spark plugs, air filter and oil filter you will void your warrentee. So a new intake would be out of the question as well as a bigger carb or TBI.

[/ QUOTE ]