Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoke coming from engine rear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by polo, Jul 28, 2004.

1. polo

polo Newbie

First off I just want to say that this site is great! This is my first post, but I've been reading posts on this site a few hours a day since I bought my first Blazer (2 weeks ago).
    Here's my problem:
    I just bought a 1977 Blazer with a 350, and it's smoking from the back of the engine. Sometimes it smokes just a little, and sometimes it smokes alot.
    The truck starts up fine, but when you first start it up you'll have to sit there and give it a little gas to keep it from stalling out. Once it gets going it runs fine, but not with much power. (It's my first one so I'm not sure if the power is normal or not). When the truck comes to a stop it idles as if it is about to cut off, but never quite cuts off. You can smell gas burning, so I imagine all of this is because the truck is running rich.
    My question is are these things related? (I mean the smoke from the engine and the way the engine idles). I'm hoping that the smoke is just a leaky seal or it could possible be the head gasket. I haven't yet done a compression test or anything, but I will in the next couple of days.
    The only reason that I don't think it's a leaky seal is because it doesn't smoke only when the truck first starts up, and it doesn't really smoke out of the tailpipes. All the smoke is coming from the engine, and the smoke is pretty continuous.
    All help is greatly appreciated!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like a leaky old motor , probably valce covers or intake end gasket leaking on the exhaust . Not sure about the power though , I have a 305 and it drives ok , maybe just need the carb gone through . As for the almost stalling that goes back to the carb needing looked at , idling low for sure , or bad float level ( noticeable if you panic stop and it stalls ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. polo

polo Newbie

Thanks Pauly, I'm hoping that's all that it is, just being an old motor with leaky gaskets or seals. I got a really good deal on this truck because my friend is going into the Navy and needed to get rid of it. I only payed $750 for it, and it's in really good shape.
    Anyone else think it sounds like it's just bad seals?