Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoke coming from Left side (drivers) exhaust

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72BlazerTravis, Dec 27, 2002.

1. 72BlazerTravis

72BlazerTravis Registered Member

I realized (after kicking myself rather hard) that I drove this thing home, checked the oil and by God there wasn't any in it!!! I put 5 quarts of oil in and it still says its a quart low. Supposedly this thing was completely rebuilt 6000 miles ago. So I poured oil in it and fired it up and pooof! It smokes like crazy out of the drivers side exhaust pipe. Did I tear something up?? Or is it maybe those stupid valve ring gaskets(?) Also the only way to put oil in it was through the breather cap on the drivers side of the engine.

My Dad (who's a engine man for 40 years +) says it's nothing to worry about that the Chevy engines are notorious for that kind of stuff. I like to double check though and make sure I didn't screw anything up. The guy I got it from says the engine hasn't even been broke in with 6000 miles on it but I hear thats plenty. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Does it smoke all the time or just at first?

3. 72BlazerTravis

If I don't get on the gas and it runs at normal idle speed(well not really since it still needs the carb adjusted cause it runs way to fast like the choke is stuck on) it just smokes lightly but if I opunch the gas or even just rev it up it bellows out a lot of smoke. Just out of the drivers side exhaust though. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the previous owner drained the oil to put fresh, unburned oil back in for potential buyers to see....but forgot to put new oil back in the case! If you had to add more than 5 quarts of oil, that means that the filter was dry as well. That tells me that it was a new filter. I have to believe that you have done some kind of damage to the cylinder walls at the very least (sounds like you have a good bit of blow-by now). Despite what your dad says, it is not normal to run an engine without oil. Do a compression test on the cylinders. You will find the most leak down on the side that smokes the most.

5. 72BlazerTravis

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Damn that really pisses me off... I probably ruined the damn motor in it with 6000 miles on a fresh rebuild. I'd like to kill that fool! Well I finally called the guy I got it from and he says the goddamn dipstick isn't the right one for that engine so it probably reads low. So I may have 10 quarts of oil in it!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So tomorrow I have to drain the oil and make sure I don't have way too much oil in it. I knew something was funny because it never smoked at all until I put that oil in. THAT may have started the whole problem... too much oil! GAH!

6. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

What a dork!!! I wonder if there are any other little secrets he "forgot" to tell you about? Anyway hope that is all it is.

7. Sandman

Wow! Well hopefully thats it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 72BlazerTravis

Bad news... I drained the oil this morning and only about 5 quarts came out.

9. Sandman

Ouch. Looks like you got a bum deal. Maybe that guy will take it back. most likely not though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif