Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoke from my steering column..WTF?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Jun 26, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well here's the story. My wipers just started go on by them selves about 2 weeks ago /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . It only happened twice. Today hopped into the K5 started it up,and the wipers started to go on by themselves. Then I notice smoke coming from the wiper arm,and from behind the steering wheel. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif It wasn't much,but the smell was nasty. I took my steering wheel off,then the adapter to get into the column. I need a special too to get the locking plate off (which I can rent at Napa) then I can see WTF is going on. I really have no time to fix this problem right this week (Blazer-fest is this weekend) I unplugged the wiper module so the wipers will not get any power. Will have any problems with the module unplugged for a couple of days? I will be ordering a new wiper arm,and module next week. **** it always has to be something with my K5 /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

My guess would be that if your column is smokin' you're strokin' it too damn fast.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

3. UseYourBlinker

? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I guess I shold be ok nobody has responded yet. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Eric, I don't see any trouble keeping it unhooked a couple days. I also have all the tools needed to disassemble the steering column properly.

5. UseYourBlinker

Yea...I was gonna call you at work,but didn't want to bug you. I will be most likely ripping the column apart next week.

6. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to my pickup. I just unplugged my wipper fuse. Have no problem with it. Only sucks when it rains you have to plug it in. So I just Rain-X the winsheild, Now only in a heavy downpour do I need to plug the fuse in.

Will fix the wipers at a later date.(yea right /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif )

Let me know what happens with yours. Need to figure out what is going on with it, so I can fix mine.

7. random

random Registered Member

had same thing happen a year ago on my 84.switch in column shorted out ,pain in the ass to change. about $60 at gm dealer. hope this helps

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Could be the wiring where it passes by the tilt mechanism, in some cases that will rub the wire insulation off over time.

9. UseYourBlinker

Update...Well I ordered a new wiper arm should be here in about 7 days. Then I have to go to the dealer for the wiper module. I will most likely taking the column apart early next weekend.

10. bogginnut

bogginnut Registered Member

When I got my 84 it hadn't run for about 7 years. Once I got it running I started checking all the electricals to see what worked and what didn't. When I tried the wipers, I got a small amount of smoke from the column. Turnded them off right away and put them on the to do list. Next day it rained and I tried them again, this time no smoke. They have worked ever since. I'm going with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory till mine act up again. Sorry for not being able to help, just thought I would share that with you. Good luck. Sean