Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smoke from one tailpipe ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4blazer, Oct 27, 2003.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

i put a new carb on my 350 (holley street avenger) about 7 months ago. i have been in iraq for the past 6 months and it has not been started until yesterday. i now have white smoke comming from my right exhaust pipe only(dual exhaust). it comes out constantly at idle and while driving is most visual under acceleration. oh yea, this engine has 5,000 miles on it at the most. any ideas?
    thanks,
    max

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

One possibility is a rich condition on one bank of your motor. Similar story...

3. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

White smoke=Water/Condensation in gas
    Blue Smoke=Oil Burning
    Stuck rings are common after and engine sits, if it is definetly oil burning you might try some sort of high detergent oil treatment to free it up (Marvel mystery oil, Rislone, Ect.) I have also heard tale of pulling spark plugs and putting transmission fluid in cylinders to soak for a day or two, be sure to turn engine over a few time to pump out any tranny fluid before putting plugs back in. Transmission fluid is a very high detergent petroleum.

I say give it hell and see if it clears up!
    Good luck! And Thank you for serving our great country!

4. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I had my old C10 beater do that recently. There was a pinhole leak in the head that was leaking water into the cylinder. This beast has a integrated head, I am going to part it out after I take off everything I can use on the Blazers.
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

VACUUM MODULATOR! I had the same thing happen on my 78' jimmy w/ a t-350 tranny, and it smoked like a freight train!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifReplaced the vacuum modulator and problem solved!When the vacuum modulator goes REALLY bad it sucks tranny fluid into the intake port it's plugged into resulting in a ploom of white smoke! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I would almost bet my truck on this one! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just a thought, if you have auto tran's. Have you checked tran's fluid? If the Modulator is shot, the engine will pull a.t.f. out of the tran's, and burn white out the tailpipe, usually cylinder's, 7 and 8 plug's will be sooty/wet.

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

ok, shortly before i put the new carb on, i found that my #8 plug had fouled and there was alot of sludge build up on it. so this modulater theory seems to fit so far. now if someone could just tell me where the modulator is and what it looks like.....
    thanks again.

8. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

never mind, i found it on the side of the tranny. i'll try replacing it i recon. thanks for the advice.

9. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, shortly before i put the new carb on, i found that my #8 plug had fouled and there was alot of sludge build up on it. so this modulater theory seems to fit so far. now if someone could just tell me where the modulator is and what it looks like.....
    thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ] #8 plug fouled=bad vacuum modulator!!!!GOOD LUCK! A quick and easy fix!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

ok. the modulator didnt fix it so i pulled the #8 plug and put my compression checker on it. guess what...no compression. not even a little. and the plug was oil soaked. so i am guessing that i burned a hole in the piston. i am thinking that if it was just the rings that there would be a little bit of compression. well, i guess this is what happens when someone who doesent know what they are douing builds an engine by themselves. this has to be some sort of record.....burning a hole in a piston in 5000 miles or less....well, i better get to workin on it.
    thanks for yalls help.