Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smoke????? oh crap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Sep 18, 2004.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Well, I just finished my 6.0/4l80e swap into my blazer and it has brand new dual exhaust and I took it for the maiden voyage today just earlier and I noticed when I pulled into the driveway I thought I smelled something burning and saw a little smoke in the rear view mirror, but when I checked things out nothing was burnt at all everything looked fine. And I read a post a while back about a guy I think rifguitar who had new exhaust put on and had smoke and a funny smell coming from the exhaust for a short time. Could this be it, I think it is because its a brand new chevy crate motor, and brand new exhaust. Any ideas??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Remington

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

could be maybe rings arent set, and any residual oil in the exhaust just burning out, give it a day or two, if it doesnt clear up, then it might be more of a concern.

3. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

Same thing happened when I put a cat back on my 2000 cherokee....it's oil residue on the exaust to keep it from rusting......how does it run......I saw a write up on the 6.0L in a k5......hope all goes well......I'd like to get a look at it.....I work in west Houston...where are you at? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah I hope you are right. It runs ok right now, when I took it for a spin, I think the tranny fluid might have been low because it shifted a little sluggish so I will be topping it off in the morning. But after things clear up and the engine is broken in, then I will be adding a z06 cam and doing a valve job to the heads and maybe a few other odds and ends. I live in College Station right now since I just started college there @ A&M but I have been coming back to Friendswood(parents home) almost every weekend now for the last few months to get the blazer in a reliable running condition. I have been meaning to get some pics, so I guess I can try to snap some tomorrow before I head back to CSB. I will pb be back though the next few weekends so if you would like just let me know if you want to drop by. Thanks for all the ideas

Remington

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    And I read a post a while back about a guy I think rifguitar who had new exhaust put on and had smoke and a funny smell coming from the exhaust for a short time.

[/ QUOTE ]Wasn't me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif What color is the smoke?

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

oh well sry bout that, it was a medium grey smoke

Remington

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I used to sell arvin exhaust,and I assume walker and other brands do the same,they coat the pipes with a cosmoline type preservative so they wont rust hanging on the rack in the store waiting for you to buy it--it will stink for a little while,and perhaps a little smoke (the stickers with the part ## on them are plastic and will smell and smoke a little immediately after the first start when installed--if its smoking after 15 minites or so,its most likely somthing else. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif