Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smoke stacks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Apr 9, 2007.

?

smoke stacks?

1. git-r-done! stacks are badass

61 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. yikes! they wouldnt look good on an '85

48 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. im nekkid! what are stacks?

18 vote(s)
    14.2%
  1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well ive got a '85 diesel k30, and have got a turbo setup to put on it, and was wondering if you guys thought stacks would look good on our era of truck. i havent seen one with stacks yet so im just curious what people think/ if anyone has pics or anything. since im doing the turbo, i need all new exhuast anyways, so it would be the perfect time to do it. im thinking dual 3.5 pipes til it goes through the bed, and then twin 5 or 6" stacks the rest of the way. i see it not just being for looks, but also for function, as its going to keep the exhuast out of the way of trees and rocks on the trails. let me know what you think. thanks

2. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Hell yes that would look good. I think it would look better on the old trucks rather then all the new ones. As long as you GOOOOOOOOO BIG!!! You know how loud that is going to be though? You are going to have an exaust stack pretty much pointing directly into your ear...but i dont mind if you dont mind.

Go for it!

3. muddybuddy

well the way the exhuast is now, the previous owner put in new dual exhuast straight piped w/o anything and thats annoying. im thinkin that since its going to be turboed, it wont be that loud.

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

IMHO stacks look lame on pickups. I saw a Ram 3500 diesel yesterday with huge stacks and it looked completely ridiculous.

They might lool ok if you had a flat bed or rack body :dunno:

_

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  5. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

as far as function is concerned, sure it would be great for water crossing and stuff, but i wouldn't do it unless i could disguise it as a rollbar or something. waaaaaay to redneck for me. no offense. of course, if someone says "no offense", it usually means they just offended or are about to offend someone. ha.

6. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Stacks bring the ghey.....

Also with that frame/body flex you have it would require large holes in the bed so the pipes wouldnt get all messed up....

7. muddybuddy

ha yea i know, im still really irritated about that, im getting energy bushings and taking the body lift out once school gets out first week in may, hopefully that will help some.

so if i dont run stacks, what should i do? dual 3-3.5" out each side? i really like them out at a 45* on each side, i hope it would be fine with the shackle flip.

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

flex-joints avoid pipe carnage ;) In my opinion, the only trucks that look good with stacks are stepside trucks with the steps removed...

As far as your truck goes, I'd split the pipe off the turbo into a set of 2.5" duals, and run out each side... Thats 5" of pipe between the two, which will breath plenty well for your 6.2TD, and also be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to work with...

9. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I think stacks are cool, but then again, I also have a huge hood scoop on my truck so..... :dunno: As long as they are stacks for your truck not 18 wheeler stacks. There's an older ford F350 diesel, single cab, short bed, dually, fire engine red with big Peterbuilt angled stacks on his truck on my base and it is cool, but the stacks could be shorter, they stick up about 3 feet above the cab. There's also a 90's model dodge ram pickup on base with a single stack that comes out of the side of the fender. I guess just make it tasteful (if that's possible). Also, consider stacks with the flap on them to keep rain out. That and it's cool to watch them flip open when you hammer it. I think you should do it :waytogo:

10. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Do not make me come up there and slap you silly. :wink1:

11. muddybuddy

:haha: they wouldnt be obnoxious stacks, they would pretty much be flush with the roof of the cab, slant cut with caps. digging up from another thread i found this pic. granted its a cummins and the power difference is pretty big, i think it would look alright, no? id use stacks that are a little smaller. my truck is regular cab 8ft bed. keep the thoughts coming:haha:

dj.jpg

12. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't do it. Any truck I've seen that's not a semi just looks like they're trying too hard to be one...

13. muddybuddy

heres another pic. so you guys think those are too rediculous? those are 7" stacks, i would go with 4" or 5" if i did it with single 4" going into it

jaredmeasner.jpg

14. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

Stacks are cool on some trucks, it just varies. But it seems to me that you want them and everyone else is telling you no they are gh3y.

Well........It is your truck and not thiers do what you want and be happy with it.

15. MetalCore_Blazer393

MetalCore_Blazer393 Registered Member

i think if ur goin with 4-5" stacks it will look good with out lookin arkward. persnally if i had a pickup i deff would be puttin stacks on it ..... but i dont i got a k-5. yea my vote is go for it , but its really up to u

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I would dump it out of the turbo and have it exit the inner fender into the fender well.

There are a few guys from Azusa that have there Turbos dumped like that (with no front end though) and they are really not that loud. The turbo knocks the noise down considerably.

Ira

17. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Stacks are freakin cool I think, but have to be done right.

I say go for it.

18. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

19. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

[​IMG]What kinda crap are they teachin' you at that school? NO STACKS!

20. muddybuddy

"then we'll fight in the shade" - from 300 :)