Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoke? What smoke?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by brkn4vr, Mar 22, 2001.

1. brkn4vr

brkn4vr Registered Member

I have owned my 6.2 for over a year now and I have never had a single puff of smoke. I have been reading all the other posts of people complaining about the problem. Is this a commom problem? If so, I must have the best running diesel around! I feel better already....[​IMG]

-Be Strange....Be <font color=purple>UNIQUE</font color=purple>-

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You may not have the best runnin diesel around. All 6.2s are supposed to put out some smoke with a lot of throttle and and large load i.e. flooring it from a stop. If it does not at least leave a little black smoke, then you might have an injector pump problem or your fuel rate is not high enough for the amount of air you are getting. Either way, if you dont get smoke under a lot of throttle and a large load, then you are not at full power because there is excess air and not enough fuel.

3. brkn4vr

Interesting....The only smoke I have ever seen has been durring startup on a cold day. I run a pure synthetic oil... is this a good idea with my diesel? And would that make a difference in smoke? If I am not getting enough fuel, how can I fix this? Any info would be cool.. [​IMG]

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Synthetics are cool, but expensive. For things like ATF that require longer drain intervals, I see synthetic fluid as a real good way of having cheap insurance. For engine oil, the drain intervals are too short (my opinion) for synthetics to have any real advantage over the premium petroleum oils. Diff fluids fall into this category too, as they will need to be changed after a day of fourwheeling in the water. Using a premium petroleum engine oil like Chevron's Delo or Shell's Rotella in 15w-40 is what most of the dieselers on The Page use that are seroius haulers. I'm a big fan of the Delo. But hey, if you've got the money, synthietics are a viable choice.

David Oliver
    '85 'burban - 6.2L J NA
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *B&B 6.2L TD and beefed T-700 coming soon*

5. brkn4vr

I agree with to possible injector problem. They have not been touched since the truck came off the assebly line to my knowledge. As it could also be that the last owner did not like the amount of smoke and ran the truck lean to eliminate it. I will have to work on that. As for the injectors, I don't know which injectors I should use. Stock new ones or is there a better after martket set I could use? Maybe 6.5 would be better if they would fit?

6. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6.5L injectors won't fit unless you have 6.5L heads. The threading is different. That's okay because their output isn't that different from 6.2L injectors. There are high flow injectors out there, but unless you're running or plan on running a highflow injuector pump like a 300hp marine DB-2, then they're a waste of money. Rebuilt Bosch injectors are your best bet. They're about $30 each, and will last a long time given proper fuel treatment. I hope this helps.

David
    '85 diesel burban

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

When I bought my '90 it had under 50,000 miles on it, so I am assuming it was in good running shape. Under full throttle acceleration you could see just a very small amount of black smoke.

8. brkn4vr

At present, I have approx. 300,000 miles and no smoke. I would have to agree with blueblazer in saying that there is a injector problem or such. It sounds like highflow injectors are expensive. It'll be awhile till I can get some.

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you had it timed at all? Look on the top of the injector pump and find the marks. How far off are they?

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!