Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoke when I let off the gas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Mar 6, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My last post was about a carbon buildup on my rear bumper from my exhaust........Today I got my wife to drive the Blazer(GULP!!!!!!!!) ahead of me, and I noticed that every time she let off the gas, like while turning a corner or stopping at lights, a little bit of smoke would come from the exhaust. When she applied the gas again, it didn't smoke at all. What's causing this?

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Maybe the carb is running a little rich. Try to adjust the idle mixture screws. If it's a Q-jet, they are in the front of the carb, one on each side. Clockwise is leaner.

Hope this helps.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey buddy I had the same problem with mine I started messing with the mixture screws and mest up the whole thing, my truck started smoking only on idle when I let the pedal go but when I accelerated the smoke was gone so I went back to the carb and closed the mixtures screws a little more they were open too much letting alot of gas go trough, so I adjusted them and the problem is gone, try that to your carb before you do anything else that should help, well hope this helps buddy good luck.

keep blazin !!!

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>if the smoke is black it's probably fuel but if it's blue it could be valve stem seals leaking. This usually happens during deceleration. The local parts store should be able to supply "umbrella" type seals which don't involve pulling the heads for repair.Hope this helps.</font color=blue>