Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RLBstein, Feb 2, 2001.

1. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I finally got my 6.2L diesel started after I rebuilt the entire thing. It runs very strong and smokes out the exhaust (white smoke) a little bit, exactly like my book says it will do for about the first 2000 miles. The problem i'm having is the little bit of smoke that comes from the dip stick tube while running and a little bit out the intake manifold when I shut it down. Is the engine just burning off some residue from the rebuild and it will go away or do I have some problems.

82 Blazer

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

That isn't a problem. It's just blow by gas from the crank case. Almost every car makes at least a little bit. If you get a whole lot of smoke from the dipstick or oil fill you probly have a problem.

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Untill the rings seal properly there will be a litle blow-by. But there should be some vacum equalizer hoses that run from the crank-case upp to your intakemanifoild. If they are plugged with old residue you should get them open again.
    I really only have experience with a small 4 cylinder overhaul, but thats what I was told after I did that. One of the hoses was plugged. I havent done anything about it yet though.

Was the 6,2 hard to do? Did you do it on a stand or in the truck?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com</A>

4. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Your about the 4th person to tell me it's the rings not seated so I feel a little better now. I rebuilt the engine on a stand. Had the block cleaned and honed at a shop as well as the crank polished and cam bearings installed, for about 80 bucks for all of it. The worst part was having the heads rebuilt. The guy replaced all of the valves and they are way more expensive for the 6.2 than regular gas engines. Put it all together, plugged in the wiring, got the air out of the fuel system, and it started in one try.

82 Blazer