Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoked 6.2L options...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Quack_Addict, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

A friend of a friend of mine GAVE me an `87 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4 last year. His kid had been driving the rig for a while and never thought to put crank case oil into it until the engine went dry and stranded him on the side of the highway. The engine had about 150k miles on it, assuming the odometer rolled over once.

I haven't done much work on the truck yet and don't know how bad the internals are. The guy who gave up the truck said the engine is seized. I did get under the truck last fall and tried to get a pry bar on the flywheel to turn the engine a bit without luck. Batteries are dead so using the starter isn't an option... and I don't know if I want to try rolling it over with fresh batteries... because if it really is seized, something will come apart.

What would be the best course to pursue here to get a running 6.2L back into this rig? A running junk yard 6.2L will run between $800-$1000, most likely with unknown mileage.

I've worked on 6.2's in the past and have built several SBC gassers from mild to a little wild... tearing into the 6.2 doesn't scare me... but how much should I expect to spend to rebuild this thing? Any other options I might want to consider?

Dependability is a big consideration.

2. comarmot

comarmot Newbie

Here's what I would do... I found an import export guy in FL that has a bunch of 6.5's in the crate. Everything will swap over, and you will end up with a new bigger engine. Cost $3000, but worth it to me.