Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SmokeJumpers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by camiswelding, Sep 15, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I went on a two hour tour today of the Forest Service Smokejumper operation here... with my father in law who is retired Burbank Fire

I have to say these guys really earn their pay... their pack was 150 pounds (only a few.. very few "women" can pass the PT test and last)
    We got a looky loo inside some of the planes
    dc3s... orions...bat21 plane (I forget what that one was),,, and a couple of small lear jets.. and cobras setup as aerial command platforms

I looked at the equipment from the 30s and nothing much has changed except the materials have gotten better

man my hat is off to some very tough people

Lots of fires here in the west... of course some of those are lit by the seasonal fire guys... cant get OT if it isnt burning.. makes for interesting arson investigations

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

AeroUnion in Chico?

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Crazy bastards. I'll stick to fighting fires in buildings where there's always a fire hydrant within 300 feet, and a window to jump out of if the feces hits the ventilation device. I KNOW what fire does in a building, and I know how to get out. Those smoke jumpers have to run far, fast and over mountains when mother Nature gets her hair all in a bunch. Visited the Storm King Memorial in Glenwood Springs this summer, what a sad thing. 14 guys, all gone.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Cessna 337. I can't remember what the military designation was...

Yeah, smokejumpers are slightly insane. Nothin' but respect for those folks.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

there is a memorial for a team that was in a c-130 that went down in the crystal basin fire off 50

A friend of mine in HS was a smoke jumper SHE had a full ride scholership to UC santa Barba for vollyball, she gave it up to be a smoke jumper
    super nice girl, got caught up in a fire storm, the fire moved up the mountian so fast, she and her partner diddent have time to escape it.
    RIP Eva
    local news story

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

she isnt forgotten.. redding has a tribute about her on their wall