Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoker's curse - Choking on someone's fumes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 3, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Smoker\'s curse - Choking on someone\'s fumes

In a couple days, I will be one year smoke free (except 1/2 a butt on 9/11). I'm also just getting over a mild strep throat I think (extremely sore throat if nothing else).

Edited: Wife said it was too mean!

There were a couple reasons I quit: Kids, physical crappy feeling, inability to recover quickly from common sickness, etc. etc. etc., LIFE INSURANCE PREMIUM... I have to be one year smoke free to qualify for non-smoker premiums, which are almost 1/3 the smokers premiums for identical coverage (and we have an awesome ins. co.)... So last year a little before christmas, we got a policy on me for insane premiums, and I tried to quit smoking to cancel and start a new policy around now.

Well, today I walked into a room to fix a machine, and I was practically floored by the smoke. This elderly gentleman is in there smoking quite a bit, and the machine I have to fix is in front of a fan that's blowing a lot of smoke at me. People smoking around me now doesn't bother me at all, but this was too much... just to give you an idea, this guy has a dedicated room with a seperate ventilation system (even though it's totally illegal). His rooms ac is off because it's cold, so the room just fills with the smoke all day. You literally see a cloud when he opens the door...

Anyway, I walked out choking and coughing my head off, saying he was on his own, the equipment is dying because it has tar on it...

And don't tell me that's any kind of prejudice!! I used to haul my butt down 34, 6, or 3 floors to have a smoke no matter what the weather!! He can do the same!

I guess this is a rant of my experience and now smell, but I kinda just posted it for a laugh... Stepping away from being pissed off for a minute, it is kinda funny...
    Edit: Well, it was funnier before I made it "nicer"...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 01/03/02 06:44 PM.</FONT></P>

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Smoker\'s curse - Choking on someone\'s fumes

I hear ya Ratch, its been 2 years for me and this is the third and final time. First time I quit for 3 years and then I asked the wife to marry me, so after a year of smoking I quit again for a year and then my Mother inlaw died, it took me 3 years to quit again but I didn't want my son to see me smoke. The wife still smokes and her breath smells like she just ate a poop sandwich, I love being a non smoker, just so I can bitch.....[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Congrats and stick to it!! I found it's really easy once you get used to the idea of not needing or having it like you subconsciously think you do. I tried to quit a lot of times before I actually did, every time unsuccessful.

Ratch
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I pictured an old co-worker of mine in that room,LOL He's in his early 60's and has been smoking since he was 15![​IMG] Just thinking about it makes my eyes water.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm glad you quit! Nick's sister smokes like a freight train. She's 19 and she's really pretty, but she's always coughing and stinks horribly! Me...I've never even tried it. I don't want to. But good for you! Your lungs with thank you!

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've never done any type of smoking. I did puff a cigarette once to see what it was like and was not impressed at all. So I never tried it after that. Didn't see what was so special about taking those hits all the time. Except for the fact your lungs look like crap!
    BTW, think of all the extra cash you have left over now rather than buying smokes. This cash adds up when you just ignore it. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Good for you guys! Wish I could say the same for myself.
    I quit over the summer, I only made a couple of months, before I started up again. These little buggers have a white nuckled grip on me and I can't shake 'em loose. But I need to...

I think the only way I'm going to be able to kick the habbit is if I hide out in the hills for two weeks and have someone drive by, and toss out a sack lunch out as they pass (A guys gotta eat, right!). I sure couldn't take a gun with me, because you know, I'm not a very happy guy when I quit smoking. As a matter of fact, I get kinda pissy about it.

<font color=blue>Wow Factor
    A SBC at 6000 RPM, Piston speed of 60 MPH.
    3- The intake charge reaches a speed 4 X greater than the piston.
    Thats 240 MPH.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, we have definately noticed the increase in cash!! $4 a pack and a pack or so a day!!

I dunno what the appeal of it was when I started, and I still don't know what it is when I occasionally think about a smoke (I don't really want one anymore, but a nostalgic feeling comes on every so often). It's definately an addiction, I know about 10 people that say they can stop whenever they want, they just don't want to, lol...

Really, I wouldn't have even quit when I did if I hadn't put all my trust in God and let Him do the hard part... Hard to describe, but I tried to quit plenty of times with great motivations, and couldn't do it til I gave it to God...

Anyway, the original post was funnier (to me)... My wife made me clean it up cause she thought it was mean...

Ratch

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I admit I was kinda irritable the first couple weeks... My wife said she didn't notice, though...

Ratch

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

my gf's stepdad started when he was 10 and quit when he was 50. Smoked 3 packs a day before he quit though...think he used Zyban...just needs to lay off the crack now...

90K5

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You are way better off quiting... after watching my dads grandma die from cancer slowly from smoking was not for me... I still don't how people can do it.. I mean in house fires people die of smoke all the time. Yet with cigs they put smoke in them.... doesn't seem right.........

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

12. S10Brandy

S10Brandy Registered Member

Im from Washington state and the average pack of cigs goes for a whopping 7-8 dollars a pack....we have the highest tax in the US. I think our smoker rate will take a steep dive! Im really excited!

Everything is okay in the end--If it's not okay, it's not the end!

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey another Brandy.... MudNurl has the same name. Welcome aboard! I see you knew Bandit. AJ was a great guy and is missed.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

14. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

good for you, i've been smoke free for 16 month 5 day 3 hour and----23 seconds hehe. it's been tough and i still have some cravings a times, but it's worth it!

gime a bucket of chicken with extra skin!

15. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

You should try Zyban a.k.a Wellbutrin. The thing is, Zyban is not covered by insurance. What you do is ask your doctor to prescribe Wellbutrin which is the EXCACT same thing. The insurance will pay for Wellbutrin because it's presribed as an anti-depressant. When they see Zyban they know it's to quit smoking and Big Brother will charge $50 or more per month. I pay $10 for Wellbutrin. Also, it says to take 2/day. I got too loopy from 2 so just take 1. I will say, I tried everything else and this was the easiest. Most people I know said this is what did it for them too! Good luck![​IMG]

Let us so live that when it comes time to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thanks I'll keep that inmind..
    You guys/girls got me feelin' guilty now.
    I need to get back on the wagon. (maybe I'll put some seat belts on the wagon, so I don't fall off again.[​IMG])

<font color=blue>Wow Factor
    A SBC at 6000 RPM, Piston speed of 60 MPH.
    3- The intake charge reaches a speed 4 X greater than the piston.
    Thats 240 MPH.

17. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

let's play a little game of bring up two year old posts. . . .shall we? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I wonder if that guy Ratch is talking about is the editor of Harper's magazine. I saw a thing on the news about him once, he's like 70 and since they outlawed smoking in the building he sealed his room off and put a separate ventilation system in so he could still puff at his desk. Or maybe this guy just stole the idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used to Chew,just as bad as smoking,been over a year since I quit!

20. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the fact is that some of you who posted, if you don't quit, will statistically die from it. Cancer, suffocation via emphasima(spell), chemo then death. It is not pretty. May get you next year, in ten years, maybe longer, still the worst though.

Sure we will all die someday(so the argument goes), but the further away "someday" is gives us that much more time with family, trucks and good food.

scary stuff.