Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smokes BAD on freeway

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The85k5, Apr 16, 2001.

1. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

okay well to start off i installed a rough country 4" full leaf lift kit....great ride great handleling looks good yada yada yada....main question is after putting the kit on my driveshaft pulled out about 2 inches or so, i drove it on the freeway and when i hit about 65 70 it started smoking alot....so i figured out that it was fluid coming out of the back of the transfer case where the driveshaft slips in....checked the seal...that was fine....lowered the transfer case....that went well.....but still it smokes....not quite as bad after i lowered it.....but should the next step be getting the driveshaft lenghened? or is their anything else....PLeaSe respond.....its getting embarrasing driving my moms car around!

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The best fix would be to correct the drive shafft length, but how much of the splines are still engaging the tail shaft? If it has enuff spline to spline contact and the shaft is suported then it should be O.K. to reuse the stck shaft, I would think. Pull the shaft out and check the yoke for rust and burrs, use some red scotch-brite pad to lighty remove any imperfections, replaced the tail shaft seal, lighly lube the yoke and reinstall.

You also might want to check the t-case fluid level, it should be just below the fill plug. If it is over-full then the trans to t-case seal might be bad (Auto-trans fluid is pumping fluid into the t-case, causeing it to be over full)

Twiztid

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

My shaft wasnt long enough, I had to lengthen mine with the same lift you have... I jumped my truck and well, the noise I heard afterwards wasnt pretty... cost me 140 bucks for the shaft to be lengthened 1.75 inches...
    Money well spent...
    Oh and get good u-joints too... well worth the extra 5 bucks...

[​IMG]See me at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.inhomenetworking.com/78jimmy.htm>http://www.inhomenetworking.com/78jimmy.htm</A>