Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smokin 84 6.2 diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by crewchief264, Jul 8, 2002.

1. crewchief264

crewchief264 Registered Member

my kid brothers military blazer is puffin white smoke out the left exhuast and is accompanied by sever power loss. it'll idle all right and then when you put it in gear and try and take off it has no power you can only go like 15 mph if that fast any body gaot any hints? all the filters are changed and it ran real good before.

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

White smoke= water or coolant in the combustion chamber. probally a blown head gasket or worse.

3. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Could be an injector too. Try testing or replacing all the injectors before you do a head gasket.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The butterfly valve in the left exhaust manifold may be stuck, I think its called the EPR valve or something. Anyway, youll have to take the pipe off the manifold to see for sure unless somebody knows a way to see if its stuck with the pipe still on. This would explain the low power cause of a massive exhaust restriction, and the white smoke is unburnt fuel, possbibly because that side is not getting enough air to properly burn the fuel due to the cylinders staying filled with exhaust. If its not stuck then I would look at fuel timing or a blown head gasket, possibly other things.

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

The way to tell if it's worse then a head gasket is if you pull the dipstick, not filler neck! and watch for belching white smoke! If so, probable cracked block!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif IF no smoke coming from bottom of engine, blown head gasket would be my next explination, but always try the esier solutions first!