Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smokin' Blazer!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin'Grrl, Aug 13, 2000.

1. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

Smokin\' Blazer!

OK, my Blazer's smokin.' It's steam-like smoke, not black or anything,and looks to be coming from the block...not from the radiator and anywhere around that area....It does it even if I drive a short distance. The Temperature is fine, staying below 200.....any ideas? Should I be worried??

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Smokin\' Blazer!

If it was mine, I'd be concerned. It is certainly worth a look with a flashlight. It might be just a softplug gone bad. Not always easy to get to, but should be fixed. You know it's not going to get any better, only worse.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah check it out and find where it's comming from.
    Might be somthing as simple as the heater hose leaking where it meets the intake or a leaking freeze plug. May be something more serious like a failing head gasket. Check the oil and make sure it's not getting a chocolate milk look to it. That would indicate water getting in the oil and that will toast the engine in a hurry. Also check the coolant and make sure it hasn't gone brown or black.
    Make sure to keep the radiator topped up and carry water with you if your going to keep driving it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Grim about the heater hose thing.........A few years back, I had a hose split under my hose clamp- a really sneaky break! I lost just enough coolant once the engine warmed up to cause steam, but there was no sign of liquid anywhere! The big tip-off was the antifreeze smell it gave off. It took some checking, but I ended up finding the culprit by running the motor with the hood up and watching closely while everything warmed up.