Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SMOKIN' COLUMN

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MICHIGAN BLAZER, May 20, 2000.

1. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

SMOKIN\' COLUMN

Yesterday i drove to town, when i was done i went out to start my truck to leave and had a nice little stream of smoke coming out of my steering column @ the blinker stem. I shut my truck off and peered in there.....automatically a little nervous about something smoking inside of my truck. I noticed before i shut my truck off that my wipers were starting to creap up the winshield.....they do that sometimes...no big deal i thought. Until i started my truck again.....one more little puff of smoke and the wipers went nuts.....couldn't shut them off, had to yank the fuse. I no longer have any clicks on the stem for the different settings.

My question is has anybody had this happen before?...if so what did you have to replace. also, i looked @ it but didn't want to get too dirty @ the time, but how do i take the plastic covers off of the column. all i could see was one screw @ the hazerd light switch.....do i have to take the steering wheel off? Or do they kinda pop together like the bottom portion of the column by the guage bezel. Any help is appreciated.....I REALLY don't want to hook my wipers to a toggle......pretty soon everything is going to be controled by toggles!!lol

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Re: SMOKIN\' COLUMN

uh-oh.....suppose to rain off and on again monday thru wednesday!! anybody got any clues about the wiper wiring and gizmos in the column??

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have a problem with the wiring in the column shorting out. You might want to replace the harness. I can provide a schematic of the wiring if you like...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

Must be something about Michigan. I had a 78 'carlo that did the same thing. If you look at the motor on the wiper arm I think there is 2 wires, for the 2 differen't speeds. The motor is grounded by the bolts. What I did was used a toggle switch directly to the high on the motor. Granted it was a car I didn't plan on keeping.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Smoke = short to ground. You will need a lock spring compressor to go deeper into the column and find out what rubbed thru and where. Many times several circuits use the same battery hot and or ground...which can through you off when diagnosing why x item is inop. Chances are when you get the column apart you will find what has rubbed thru the main harness that goes down the column to the ignition / neutral safety-reverse light switches.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Go get some Rain-X or something similar. It will get you by until you get your wipers fixed. Works best above 40mph, so around town it may be a pain, but much better than nothing at all. I love the stuff, never use my wipers on the highway anymore.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had an 84 blazer where the mutifunction switch burn't up. had to replace the whole thing as a unit. switch and wire down through column. got it from a junkyard for 15.00.I don't know what a new one would cost.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

8. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

I recently bought an intermittent wiper switch off ebay for about 20.00 plus shipping I'll look around the house for the Found it in LMC catalog Part number is 36-0657 a bit pricey 149.94 I guess I finally made some money off ebay.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The same thing happened to me- it ended up being the harness in the steering column that controlled my wipers and my cruise control. I seem to remember it cost me a pretty penny to fix, but I haven't had any problems since. I might add that my mechanic advised my not to do the old "column flip" that so many people do when they stop their vehicles to get out. Apparently it wears out the wire coating in the column a lot faster, which may have caused your(and my)problem with the wiring.

10. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Recently I replaced the wiring harness and the cruise/wiper lever in my wife's car because of the same reason.
    I've also had my column apart on my 88 Blazer. Common sense and a Hayes book will help you. Rent a spring plate compression tool and a STEERING WHEEL puller at the local parts store too.
    You need a new 'directional return switch/harness' which is ONE unit that screws in right next to were your lever plugs in.
    Start with the switch/harness first (about $85.00) with the old lever. If you still have the problem, add a new lever ($65.00 at NAPA). It will take you about two hours to do because you need to take out the old 'switch' in the column but the wires go down the column and plug into the main harness under the dash not an easy task.

If you try this, TIE A STRING TO THE PLUG AT THE END OF THE OLD HARNESS BEFORE YOU PULL IT UP THROUGH THE COLUMN. Once out, take the string off the old harness and tie it to the plug on the NEW harness. DON'T UNWRAP THE NEW HARNESS(ITS SHRINK-WRAPPED IN PLASTIC)UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE PULLED IT THROUGH THE COLUMN WITH THE STRING. The shrink-wrap keeps the harness wires compressed tightly enough to easily be drawn through the tiny passageway in the column. Follow this trick and you life will be easier. Unwrap the plug from the shrink-wrap when you are ready to plug it in under the dash.

It is really very straightforward, so don't be afraid of it.

Good luck., and let us know.

Rock climbing on Plymouth Rock
    with my 88 Blazer 350/Auto/TBI