Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smokin' Rotors!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Smokin\' Rotors!

My front brakes have been in pretty bad shape for the last week. Today at lunch I went out and purchaced my new pads (pre frict) On the way home my pass caliper froze up. I pulled over and thought about my options....one mile to home or 2 miles to my shop....since the rotors were recent I decided to go home. I took it pretty easy driving home, by the time I got there the rotor was hot as hell. I jacked up the front end and could not get the wheel off because the hub had heat soaked and expanded. I packed the wheel with snow and bummed a ride to the parts store not even knowing what to expect when the hub cooled. Got back half an hour later pried the rim off. Rotor is completely trashed. Bum a ride to my shop where my parts frame is, pulled a hub and halfway decent rotor after digging in the snow for 15 mins. Bum a ride back to home and start wrenching. Since the pads were so low the caliper must have cocked at its full throw. I just compressed the caliper back in for now (going to swap it out tommorow at lunch) Works as good as it ever has. What bunch of sh!t

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Re: Smokin\' Rotors!

Same thing happened to my '83, turned out to be a bunch of crap in the brake fluid and it had crapped up ther inside of the caliper around the o-rings freezing the caliper tight on the rotor, boiled the grease out of the bearing and the brake fluid out.....bad times but repairable

White Knight

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

To keep this from happening again you can change your bake fluid once a year. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbes water) and can only absorbe so much. After it has absorbed all it can stuff starts to rust from the inside out. Suck out the master with a turkey baister(sp?), pour in new fluid, and bleed untill cleen stuff comes out each bleeder.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I'm having trouble with my calipers. One was hanging up and the other wouldn't grab. Thought it may be a rotor problem, but yesterday I rebuilt the carb and took it around the street. When I tried to stop I left about 30' of skid from both rear tires. The fronts weren't doing a thing. Scared the bejeses out of me and got some mean looks from the other traffic.

[​IMG]