Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smokin

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazerbob, Apr 13, 2000.

1. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I had dual exhuast put on today. When I got home I revved her up to hear what the turbo muffs sounded like at WOT. Every time I left off the gas a puff of blue smoke came out. I put new valve seals in it when the motor was installed a couple months ago. The rings are original though with 80,000+ miles. The motor came from an 81 vette that was owned by an older man who changed the oil every 3,000 and did not thrash it. Is this something to worry about or just normal. The exhaust that was on it before was just some flex pipe and cherrybombs dumping underneath so I don't know if it was doing this since day one. BTW the exhaust was done by a small 1 car garage Radiator and Exhaust shop. He did it without the cats and it comes out behind the rear wheels. It is tucked up near the floor so nothing will rip it of while 4 wheelin. It cost me $190 from headers back. Thanks in advance for your reply.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Are you positive it was blue smoke? If it was a little more grayish it could be the carb needs a little tuning. How does it run?

My Blazer has about 105K miles and still doesn't smoke, and I can't guarantee the previous owner (my dad) never forgot to change the oil. The only smoke you see is when you start it, and that I believe is because of the valve seals.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

yes it was blue smoke and only a little puff when letting off gas.

4. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like some oil is gettings by the rings or the intake manifold gasket on decompression. Might want to check you plugs and look for evidence of oil burning. The insulator will show signs of abnormal burning...small bubbles. The insulator is normally light brown or gray, with a smooth appearence.

good luck!

5. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Take the Blazer out and run it down the highway for about 20 miles or so and get everything real hot all the way back, then check your blue smoke it's possible that it could be some crap in the new pipes wisping out on decompression...WK

6. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Took the Blazer up to the city today (about 30 miles one way). Now the blue smoke is gone so it must have been something in the pipes. Now there is just a little gray smoke when cold starting but that is probably just because the choke doesn't work.