Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Smoking/GP/part Numbers

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 73k5blazer, Jan 2, 2002.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I have a '97 6.5TD. When it sits overnight in the cold (less than 25degreesF) not plugged in, I start cranking, it starts, and smokes a lot and shakes. It has no problem starting, but smokes a lot for a minute or two then almost immediatly stops smoking and the engine stops shaking and it runs normal. It has 120,000mi on it. It never smoked this much until this winter. A quick glance under the hood and I noticed 1 Glow Plug lead has rusted off and was hanging. I broke out the meter and checked for voltage at all the plugs and all was fine, except for the broken one of course. The plugs are cycling just as much as they always did, so I believe the controller is OK. Could that 1 plug be causing my problem? Do Glow Plugs slowly wear out?
    I went to the dealer and bought 8 new plugs and am just going to replace them all. I noticed in an earlier post someone referenced AC 60gs for a manual controller and 11gs for a stock controller.
    My vehicle is completely stock, and the dealer sold me 60g plugs (not 60gs). Are these the right ones for this motor? (GM Part#12563554)

Thanks in advance for any info.

BlazerMan
    '73 K5 All Glass body, 14Bff, Detroit, ARB'd Dana44 front, SM465/NP205..no motor yet...
    '97 K2500HD 6.5TD

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Is this the first winter youve had it? Ive heard of newer turbo diesels smoking during start up in the cold.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

3. 73k5blazer

It's the third winter I've owned it. It never smoked & shaked this much before.

BlazerMan

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Try to find an older application guide and see what it says. Im guessing it will say 11g is what it takes. The 60g is just what everyone (parts stores and dealer) seems to recommend now, but its not necassarily correct. It takes too long to heat up for a stock controller.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

5. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

60G should work just fine whatever glow plug set up you have. I've heard 11G's are better for a stock glow plug system and 60G's are better if you control the glow plugs manualy but either one should work fine. Your truck was probly shaking and smoking because the cylinder with the bad plug was missing.

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Why would it be missing?

7. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

The broken glow plug wouldn't be doing its job of heating up that cylinder so it will fire when fuel is injected. Without a working glow plug in that cylinder the engine would have to run for a while before the heat from the compression alone is sufficient to ignite the fuel.

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I guess it makes a big difference on a turbo diesel.

9. 73k5blazer

I believe your right. When I pulled the bad plug, it has 11g Stamped on it. The truck has always started great in cold weather, really great, no matter how cold, I've never once had a problem until now, and given the number of cold started problems people have, I'm not so inclined to change to 60g's. They're going back to the dealer for the 11's.
    What really gets me is that when he (the parts guy at the dealer) punched in GP for my vehicle, two were listed. 11 and 60g. I saw it on the screen myself. When I asked why there were two listed, he said "they all use the 60's, the other is for commercial vehicles, and it's just an emmisions thing, no one stocks those." What a lying sack! Too lazy to look up why there's two listed I guess.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

BlazerMan Ken

10. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I just bought some glow plugs at NAPA about a month ago, and they said they don't carry any 11G plugs anymore. They only carry the 60Gs. Their computers listed 11Gs with a notice that said they no longer carried 11G plugs and to use 60G plugs in all 11G applications.

I'm going to upgrade my GP controller soon anyways, so I went ahead and bought the Delco 60Gs.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires