Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smoking on startup, power choking at times.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MountainMan, Mar 15, 2003.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

I have an 86 350 K5 original equipment, with CA emissions. 142K miles. When I start the rig lots of smoke comes from the exhaust for the first 2-3 miles. This happens every time. Also, while driving at times it will start choking or buckin a little like its loosing fuel or electrical. I have replaced the sparkplugs and wires, and I keep up on my oil changes. (that is the extent of my mechanical skills)

Question: What are the likely causes and fixes for this? And how much should I expect to pay a shop for the fix?

THANKS FELLOW K5'ers /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Cool username, brother!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have a couple of questions-

1. What color is the smoke you're referring to? This is important to know.......

2. Are there any sounds associated with the bucking? Does your engine backfire? Does it feel like the motor is cutting out? Most of the "bucking" problems I've seen have been traced back to the ignition system. New wires and plugs won't accomplish anything if your rotor and cap are fried.

If you feel up to it, you should consider replacing the cap and rotor if you don't know when they were last swapped out. It's a simple job that can be accomplished with basic hand tools. Just be sure that you label your wires when you remove them...... If you don't feel confident, pick up a K5 manual- it will walk you through the job step-by-step. And most of the guys here will be able to help you if your run into problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MountainMan

thanks for the reply... The smoke is a grey color
    i forgot, i have replaced the cap and rotor.

any other thoughts?

(k so i just notice you can edit your posts instead of making a bunch of followups... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. MountainMan

sorry guess i should answer all your questions.

no odd sounds when it cuts, no backfireing, the carb is the original, a buddy and i did a partial rebuild on the carb about 12months ago, since then i have had a mechanic return the carb since i didnt fully know what i was doing.

the solutions i have thought of are:

smoke problem: get the valves serviced, someone told me the seals on them are probably shot? what ya think? whats the cost to that?

cuttin out: new carb? what ya think?

THX AGAIN...

5. MountainMan

re-tune the carb, not return it