Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smooth tops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Jul 13, 2000.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Have any of yall smoothed your tops?
    Somebody told me that some tops came smooth from the factory. But mine is kinda rough,and I dont mean worn out rough, you can tellit came that way. Anyways, when the paint shop hits the top, they said it will look a little different from the rest of the truck causeits rough. That makes sense, but I have seen many smooth tops and was just wandering how to smooth mine.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

It is called sandpaper....

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

and hard work

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

ok smartasses I know that I have to use sandpaper, but do I cover it with bondo first or do I just sand the fiberglass?

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

He he...[​IMG]
    I read this a while back. Once you start with sand-paper and a block it is all basicly done in one evening. It's fairly easy to do but once you start it, there's no turning back.Also the smalest of mistakes will shine upp like it was on the hood...maybe best left alone?
    Good luck with your decision and post some pic's!!

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

6. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

No bondo needed, just dont go too nuts with the sandpaper. The finished layer is very thin in spots and you dont want to get into the fibers. I did have to fill in some bad dings, but if your top is in good shape it should be quick work. Oh ya, when using sand paper, the rough side goes towards the truck and the smooth side stays in your hand.LOL Sorry I also had to be a smatass. Good Luck

Scott 87JIMMY

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

heh heh...Ok guys, I hope I didnt piss anyone off with the "smartasses" comment, that wasnt the intention. But anyways, thanks for the feed-back. I think I'llgo ahead and try it (what the hell, it's just money right?). When I get done I'll post some pics.
    Oh yea, I'm a big time procrastinater though,so bear with me on the pics.(hehe)

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey man...I resemble that remark....

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

If you lived in Az I'd offer you mine, I just a bought a smooth top with sliding windows for 80 bucks, but I'm keeping the windows. If anyone is interested in another topper, let me know.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Its really easy to do. Make sure you sue paint that wont peel off. I used semi-flat black on mine and it looks good but I need to do another coat.

90K5