Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

smoother ride

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by tim_87, Feb 9, 2001.

1. tim_87

tim_87 1/2 ton status

have just purchased a 87 k5. it seems to sway or dip especially when turning. suggestion on what to try first. the steering componets are in good shape. looking for place to start. i was use to that in my jeeps but don't expect out of my new love. the 87k5. also it does not have a lift kit yet

thanks for the suggestions. tires are next. next question are the suspension bushings. are they the swaybar bushings or something else. the swaybar bushings are very worn and cracked. how hard are they to change out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by tim_87 on 02/26/01 02:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

My first thought is that your shocks are worn out, but more information is needed to get a true picture of whats going on. How many miles on your truck? What type of shocks do you have and how many miles on them? Does your steering wander or feel loose when going down the road? Can you describe the symptoms in more detail?

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The shocks are a good place to start, they can make a huge difference. That's the first thing to suspect, then maybe suspension bushings.
    And, don't expect a K5 to drive like a longer wheelbase. They are nice stable platforms, but they're still only a 106" wheelbase, so it's a far cry from a truck.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

4. tim_87

tim_87 1/2 ton status

i have installed new shocks which helped. it still sways some in turns and especially when hitting bumps. my k5 has 77,000 miles

musicman

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

How are your tires? People always tend to forget the tires when dealing with suspension troubleshooting. If they are worn, it could definitely cause your truck to "sway" or "bounce sideways" when taking bumps.

If the tires are in good shape, and you installed new shocks, maybe it's normal and you're just expecting too much from it?? If you can, go test drive another K5 and compare the handling to yours.

The only other things I can think of are springs (not likely with 77k miles) and suspension bushings.

Good luck,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You also might be surprised how much better a lifted truck rides than a stocker................seriously. Mine handles a lot better with my 2.5" Rancho lift than it did stock. Much.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

7. It sounds a little ridiculous, but you might want to check to see if the swaybar is in good shape, ie there first off, then check to see if she is all hooked up and in good order. When I bought my old sub, it had the sway bar, but was cracked in half at the busing. Made me wonder, just what the guy did with the dam thing, but she's mine and paid for. If you find out that she doesn't have a sway bar, I would put one on if you are looking for ride. If you want offroad flex, leave her off, and buy some 9000s and run on firm for a better feel to sway, not so much for ride comfort.

The more you bleed in peace, the less you'll sweat it in combat.

-The General