Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snake bite First aid when wheeling?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, May 18, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

On my last trip in Baja I had a little scare with a rattlesnake, it passed right by me from behind about 2 feet from my boots, I suppose some of the Arizona or Texas people that hang out here must have had some encounters like these. Is there medicine on the market that you can purchase and carry with you if you get bitten by a snake or scorpion, let's say you are hours away from the closest hospital, what is the right right procedure to follow if you do get bitten by snakes, scorpion etc...

2. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

I am so glad that I live in Indiana and don't have to ask this question.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't like snakes?

I've seen a few in Michigan throughout my life......but certainly not with regularity.

There is an anti-venom, but I believe you need a prescription for it.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We'll talk you into coming out to Wellsville eventually, then you'll be concerned.

Good subject!!!

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

How about a hacksaw and a turnakit!

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A satellite phone and a gps so you can direct the helicopter.

Honestly, I looked and could not find anything about 2 years ago. I put a cellular phone booster/relay in my suburban and carry 3 antennas (directional long range to omni directional) for my trips to AZ, NM, etc. We still have to get to a high area to get any reception.

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

http://www.umm.edu/non_trauma/snake.htm

One thing that the info at that link doesn't mention is a new antivenin made by Savage Labs, not from horse serum, instead being a sheep product. It has shown to cause fewer side effects in some people, but any antivenin is a powerful drug, and like any drug with significant beneficial effects, there are side effects that vary in frequency and degree with different people. This is why they are prescription-only, even the one that's been out since 1954 and old enough to go generic.

You wouldn't need to get a an actual tertiary-care hospital, since any MD's office in snake country would keep antivenin on hand. was handy, I'd drive to a military base. The docs, medics, or corpsmen there will have antivenin on hand if snakes are in the area. I know they did at 29 Palms MCB. We had rattlers there, although bites were extremely rare. Go up to the guard at the gate and tell him that you have a venomous snakebite and need some quick med attention.

8. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

9. cbbr

IIRC more people have problems with those than are helped. The venom isn't completely removed and you have a nice cut to get infected on top of your obvious problem.

10. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

:dunno: Never used one. We dont have any snakes in Alaska ;)

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

You have more need of this type of anti-bear device up there:

1300_defender.jpg

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, Jerry and I were/are talking about wheelin in an area in Wellsville that supposedly has snakes. :( Man, do i hate snakes.. But it would be awesome wheelin! Hopefully they would be few and far between and the sounds of the trucks would run them off.

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

lots of snakes here. i've killed 3 already this year. snakes suck.

14. BINDERMAN

BINDERMAN Registered Member

The cut is gonna be the least of the problems as the affected limb usually swells up and in some cases splits open.:eek1:

A local boy (4ish at the time) was bitten on his leg and his dad being an immigrant from Old Mexico (lack of proper medical facilities) sucked on the bite location for the 45 minute trip to the ER, even at the request to stop by the EMT's and the little guy still had a very rough time recovering. I feel had the father not done what he did at the least the little fella would have lost his leg. So I say anything you can do to put a vacuum or negative force against the normal flow of things on a bite location is a benefit.

"Best offense is a good defense". Know your surroundings and keep the kids close. A good dog is also a bonus!!! Leather uppered boots and blue jeans have saved a many folk. Leave the wife home if all she will wear is shorts and flip flops!!!

The bigger snakes usually bite to make you go away and don't venamate as bad as the little one that are trying to fend off an attack from an unknown creature. And the little ones usually lack the proper amount of "instrument" to let ya know you are in there space. So don't use sound as you only way of knowing if one is in the area. The larger ones sometimes while denned up for the winter have there "rattles" chewed off by rats/mice so once again your eye's need stay open.

Rattle snake 101 is over now!! :D

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Man I get the shivers and shakes just thinking about this crap. I am deathly afraid of snakes! Dont think I'd have to worry about the venom. Think I would have a heart attack first. :doah:

16. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

make it simple and wear a hunting type boot that protects you from snake bites. Just hope they don't get you in the upper leg.

17. cbbr

There may be some utility to "sucking out the venom" if you had the blade and suction ready to go when bitten. Otherwise, the venom disperses rapidly and you really don't do much good. It is probably better than nothing.

We have tons of snakes down here and I know a couple of people that have been bitten. The best thing you can do is keep the area clean, immobilized, below the heart and apply pressure to slow the blood flow to the area. And get medical attention fast.

That's why I have the relay setup. you are rarely more than 45 or so mins away by chopper in the places that I ususally wheel. A GPS and a phone are great in bad situations.

18. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Theres another type of bite kit, made for hikers. Has small green rubber "cups" to suck it out, along with blade to cut and antiseptic etc. But yea, speed is everything, get that spit out as fast as possible. Do not be on the ground, alone, with less than good boots. Wear a gun and shoot first. No room for PETA in the desert.

19. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha:the last lines lines about medical benefits:haha: