Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snap on or Mac tool chest

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ramjet gmc, Jun 12, 2002.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Is a Snap on or Mac tool chest with tools (that cost more than craftsman) worth the extra cost for the serious back yard wrencher? What do you think? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The quality of the Craftsman professional tool boxes are nice. Heavy duty with ball bearing draws. Many mechanic friends of mine have Snap-on, Mac, Matco, etc. tool boxes and like them, but they do say the Professional series Craftsman's are nice too (some even use them). There is a Stigma associated with Sears tools and "serious" mechanics, as the quality years ago was not even close to Snap-on and others. The new tools and chests/boxes are higher quality than before and good choices even for a serious mechanic or backyard serious do-it-yourselfer. This is personal opinion of myself and friends, I'm sure others may or may not disagree. I have even been looking at the ball-bearing boxes that the local Home Depot is offering. For the $$ and quality you can't beat them or Sears. With Snap-on and the like you are buying the name and prestige as well as the box itself so you are going to pay more, which to me isn't worth it. I'd rather put the money into useful tools or parts. Hope this helps.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My box and all my tools are Craftsman. Mac, Matco, ans Snap-on all have great tools, but unless you use them for a living(ie..daily), theyre not worth the money. If I do break a craftsman tool, all I have to do is go exchange it.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Craftsman boxes are nice... they are just that boxes, they hold the tools and aren't gonna affect how you wrench like the quality of a ratchet will (personally Craftsman tools are ok, but nothing to write home about).... for the cost those boxes work fine in my opinion..... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I have to agree that for just holding the tools, the Craftsman box is a good buy. I also prefer Craftsman hand tools for the purpose of easy exchange. I hate waitng for the Snap On guy to come around...just easier to roll down to Sears and pick up the tool I broke. Snap On air tools, however, are bad a$$.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Nope!

Get a good 3/8s gun. (I/R model 21??, it's 21 something, 2131?)
    Impackt sockets to match with a wobbily addapter.
    Wrenches/sockets extensions ect, the stanadard stuff.
    I use a roll around cart at work and home, keeps all the tools in one-place, keeps them from getting lost.

Figure how big of a tool box you will need to fit it all, then buy the next size bigger box.
    Make sure you can up-grade latter, by adding side-cabnets and lockers.
    Craftsman tool boxes are excelent for home use.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i agree whole hartedly that craftsman boxes are very nice but you can't beat a MAC MACSIMIZER class M3 superstation. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Craftsman boxes are fine. I have one and so do a bunch of the other guys I work with.

Twizdid, the gun you are thinking of is the 2112.
    [​IMG]
    It is the most powerfull 3/8" gun out there. I have one of them and also the 2121 which is the same gun only with a 1/2" anvil. FYI Ingersoll Rand makes Craftsman's air tools and I think they also make Snap-On's air tools too.

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thats the bugger!
    I'm on my 3rd 3/8s gun, and it's the best one yet.

10. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I have used few mac tools and they seem fine. I prefer SNAP ON I have everything from snap on welding tip cleaners to wrenches and i just love them. I have alot of craftsman tools too and they are good but there wrenches seem to not get as much fit as snap ons but you cant beat there lifetime gurantee!! My father still has a set of craftsman sockets he bought back in the early 70's and they are still great and in very good condition. I would say if you have the money get the snap ons but if not just go get some craftsman.

11. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I have Craftsman tools myself. I like the fact that if I break a tool, it is just a simple trip to Sears, The Snap on guy is hard to track down when a Snap On tool breaks....... and I have yet to see a Snap On store in the mall. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif