Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snap On Toolbox owners, question

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sled_dog, Feb 5, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How long did it take you to get your box? I have my job offer(Which I am going to take) and I can start as soon as I get my tools and box. I am going to cheap out and get a large Craftsman Professional set(replace as I break and find the need for upgrade). As well as some IR air tools. I was comparing prices, and for the size box I want it is a very small difference between Snap On and Craftsman so I want to get the Snap On box. However I am worried that I will be held up from starting my new job for a month because of a damn toolbox.

Here is the box I am looking at:

Snap On KRA2411PC 53"x24" 11 Drawer Roll Away, Black

I have heard before that getting Black takes longer than getting Red. But that was said at school where the Snap On rep was a pain in the butt so I don't know what the truck guy would be like on this. He likely won't like me if I am buying just a box from him and filling it with almost $6000 worth of someone elses tools. But anyway, if I am spending $3500 on a box, I would kind of like it to be the color of my choosing. I could compromise if I were picking up the same box used for $1500.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it varies depending on what they have at the nearest warehouse or how much stock your guy keeps... think on my ordered top and locker it was 2 or 3 weeks... but if they have it at the warehouse its a week or 2...

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I would go to your new place of business and ask one of the guys for the local dealer number and give him a call. I am sure he will be very happy that you are dropping $ 3500 with him. Let him know you need it quick. I have both snap on and craftsman roll arounds. I did not know that the craftsman boxes were getting that expensive. I would buy a craftsman box and spend the money on the snap on tools myself. Tools make you money, not the box.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

not the same thing, but it took about 5-6 weeks to get my matco.

had custom color, and drawer sizes.

snap-on quoted similar delivery times.

5. cow killer

cow killer Registered Member

hell alan, when i ordered mine, i had it in a week. it is bigger than the one u show, but cost me 3500 after the 700 trade in box i had.

6. Bushido

Bushido Registered Member

rollaway

Definitely try calling the local dealer at your new job.I would buy the Snap-On.If you plan on staying in the trade for long,you will eventually buy a bigger box and the Snap-On will be alot easier to sell/trade in.If you're just starting out,you might even ask the dealer if he has any trade-ins.Good luck with the job and box.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

owning a snappy, for your first box, buy something cheaper. i'd recomend a Mac box over anything else. a box comparable in size to mine from Mac goes for about half the price, and includes a top hutch to boot.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I want to use it to try and start a relationship with the Snap On guy too. And yes I'm gonna get ti from the Snap On guy at the place I'm going to work for. I already have contacted him(though he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I can't find anything from Mac becuase their website is junk, it simply doesn't work. Our local Mac guys suck from what I hear as well. They have switched around many times lately.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Oh and the Craftsman box that is nearest to what I want(about the same size) is something like $3300.

10. cow killer

who is the dealer for ford there? jim or kevin?

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i guess the actual tool guy himself does make or break a deal quite often. personally, i'd rather deal with our Mac rep than any other. he's the only one that seems to go the extra mile. my dad bought a used Matco box from the Snap On truck. when he had his back surgery last year, i was put in charge of bringing his toolbox home. seeing as its too heavy to lift into the back of my truck, i talked to several of the tool guys (Snap On, Matco, and Mac) about moving it for me, something they commonly do when someone switches shops, or quits. Snap On, who he bought the box from wanted $100 to bring it home (12 miles from the shop to here, and the Snap On guy lives about a mile from here), and then refused when he figured out it was actually a Matco box. Matco, understandably didnt want to touch it because it wasnt purchased from him. the Mac guy offered to not only drive 30 miles from his house (on a Saturday, his own time) to the shop, but deliver it to the house, free of charge. there's a reason why i spent over $3500 with him last year. :rolleyes: true, i did spend $3800 on my box from Snap On, but that was about it. didnt care for the guy, but liked the box. my next box will definitely be a Mac, and most of my future tool truck purchases will be from him as well.

12. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i paid a little over 6 grand for my snap on box, bright yellow, and it was delivered in three days..
    then i ordered the stainless steel top, and had it the very next day...

man i miss that box :(

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Finally talked to the rep. He is talking about offering me a start set of tools with a 40" box for about 5k. Have to see what that includes. He was saying that he takes all boxes(as long as you don't smash them with your truck) in trade at what you paid for it. So maybe I could turn around and trade right away from a 53 or just live with the 40 until I can afford a 72 or a 53 with top chest.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

2 words... MR BIG :D

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I got a Mac catalog from the Service Manager today and talked to the rep. Unless I'm vastly impressed with what I hear tomorrow from the Snap On guy, I will probably talk to the Mac rep on Thursday.

16. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I have a question for you and I know this may sound rude but I don't mean it that way, but how did you get through school without having tools? I am currently in a Diesel school and we have to have our own tools just to attend class so I am curious how the school you went to handles that.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

SChool supplies most if not all the tools you need. Once in a while we worked on a car we didn't have the tools to do, we would just improvise like you do in the realworld. Make what we had work. But all we had was Snap On tools(except a few specialty tools) and there was a very good selection and assortment of them. An advantage of going to one of the more expensive schools for the trade.

18. cow killer

also, if you want i can get u the name of the matco dealer in q town. he is a cool guy, likes wheelin too.

19. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay that makes sense then. I guess I just assumed that most schools require the student to buy their own tools.

20. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Good luck on your new job !

Just some advise from a fello grease monkey - don't get caught up in the" swingin low big tool box" wars with other mechanics in your shop or area. A good tool box full of useful tools out weigh's a fine looking box that is a third full. Remember the tools you have allows you to use your skills faster and smarter and the box is just a way of storing them when you are not there.

My first Snap-On box was used but I was able to fill it up while building up credit with my Snap-On guy along with the Mac rep. at the same time way back in 1989. I do love the high dollar tool boxes but I love what is inside them even more.

Just my $.02 worth .

Tom