Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snap On vs Craftsman vs Matco

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by TEXICAN, Jun 9, 2006.

1. TEXICAN

TEXICAN Registered Member

Im graduating from WyoTech, a automotive school soon we get different discounts from different companies i was wondering what peoples thought were on which company would be the best investment.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

craftsman pro series... easy on the hands
    easy to return in anywhere USA

None of them has the quality they were 20 years ago...

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I 2nd that.

4. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

I disagree. I think matco's ratchets have come a long long way from where they were 20 years ago.

I would agree with that on snap-on & craftsman ratchets however.

Personally, I own several ratchets from craftsman, matco and snappy, and like the matco chrome stuff (1/2" locking breaker ratchet & 6" 3/8" ratchet) and the snap-on swivel ratchet and blue-point rapid ratchet. I think that the matco stuff has the best bang-for-buck factor, but there are some offerings that can't be had anywhere else (my rapid ratchet was $107, I know stanley and blackhawk both sell similar items but with plastic parts and I far prefer chrome.)

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Matco and Snap on are great stuff. I have a 1/4" Matco fine tooth ratchet. its AWESOME. my Craftsman Pro series is a piece of crap in comparison to the feel of the Matco. But the Craftsman got the job done and cost WAY WAY less.

If you can afford it, buy some of the tools from the Snap On deal at Wyotech. You likely graduated already and this is useless to you, but the deal is a good one. Personally I rarely break any of my Craftsman stuff. I bought the Matco 1/4" when I broke my Craftsman 1/4" on a SCREW, so I was pissed at it.

If you are going to be a tech, invest in air tools. SO much faster(flat rate) and saves your hand tools big time. Why break a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet on something my Mac 3/8" air gun will break free with minimal effort?

6. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I like my Matco ratchets best (and Armstrong, which are esentially the same thing), but the problem with them is that they don't have a push button to release the socket. More often than not, I've got trans fluid/oil/grease all over my hands and the ratchet and pushing the button to get the socket off is a whole lot easier than getting a rag and cleaning it off and cleaning your hand off, etc.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes but for me personally, that little bit less thickness of the button is a world of difference. fitting a ratchet between a subframe and the timing belt on a fwd car isn't an easy task sometimes. That and I was my hands ALL the time. Everytime they get really bad I grab a rag, wipe them off them wash them. Makes it much easier to keep working.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

SNAP-ON!!!!!!!!!
    ill never buy another craftsman tool as long as i live... and im tired of matco, mainly because my $5000 toolbox is a POS. snap-on makes the best wrenches, sockets, specialty equipment and damn good ratchets... i do like matco ratchets also. i have to agree, sleddog, i dont like the release buttons on the back...

i know the feeling coming out of school, i graduated from UTI about 2 yrs ago now. let me tell you something though, you've only begun learning... trust me.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would not touch Craftsman, if you are going to step down that far in quality just go to Harbor Freight and buy Pittsburg. I have my service truck full of Pittsburg. Their tools aren't really any better quality, but they aren't any less and are half the price of Craftsman.

If you want to invest in a good set of tools go with Snap On or Mac. Just watch the papers, Ebay, any other place used tools can surface. I can't see buying Snap/Mac off the truck, as there are so many people trying to sell their tools because they can't make the payments, getting out of the trade, are upgrading, blah blah. I'm starting my collection of tools, and am using Ebay and the paper. I see no reason to buy them new if you are on a budget like I am.

10. TEXICAN

Hey man still have 9 more months at Wyo Tech. Still haven't decided on tools yet. In the marines if the tool fit it worked. Now theres just so man options. I was hoping we could chat some more and give a future lots of advice if you dont mind

11. TEXICAN

has any had trouble returning brokens craftsman tools.

Any advice will be great.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Quality, vers price, vers avalibility all come into play for me. Craftsman's no questions asked free replacement is very attractive, and Sears are all over the place. I have too go with Craftsman.

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

20 years ago?? Cam, you're showing your age! Unfortunatly, I have to agree. I've never been able to justify paying the higher cost for the Snap On products, and the few times that I had to replace a broken Snap On tool, I was denied because I har abused or misused the tool (I did:crazy: ). Never had that problem (yet) at Sears. Plus, waiting for or even finding a Snap On truck can be a chore in itself.

Eric M.

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Of course if the truck comes to where you work, finding one is not an issue. Plus, I don't have to go to the mall. I've had no issues returning Snap-on, Mac, or Craftsman. We don't have an SK dealer where I work now, so hopefully I won't break any while I'm here.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

HF owns them all!!!! :grin: :thumb:

j

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Snap-On. People will tell you Craftsman is fine, but it you use it everyday, you can tell the difference in Craftsman and Snap-On. Same with Mac, its good, but Snap-On is just better. I think that Snap-On prices are a bit overpriced, but I have bought alot on the truck and also bought brand new on ebay for a third of the price. Maybe since your starting get a list and see if your dealer will cut you a good deal, if hes cool he will.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

You guys are leaving one damn good tool maker out of the mix........Cornwell. Very good tools I would put only Snap On above them as far as quality goes and on some tools that is a toss up. Cornwell is superior to Mac Matco and Craftsman and I have owned them all. I have had My Cornwell end wrenches since 88 and not once have I ever seen a spot of rust or any chipping in the finish

18. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I have never used Cornwell tools. The city I turned wrenches in didn't have a dealer. That's okay though, I was spending my paycheck on Snapon and Matco anyway.

It seems that I have my favorites of everything. When I need a screwdriver, I reach for a snapon. When I need a combination wrench, I reach for a matco.

19. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I Have Pittsburg Rachets out of Harbor freight. I got 1/4, 3/8s and 1/2 inch sets for like 40 bucks, my metric sets got back ordered but ive been using the bejesus out of mine since igot them, love them. Dads been using them for years. Although when i get the money Im going to buy a good set of SnapOn wrenchs and screwdrives. I would love to get a box too but cant justify it.

My dad has a SnapOn box older them me. Still works like the day it was new he says. He has some wrenches and sockets still all work great. When my grandpa rembe passed away dad I and when through his tool boxes when Grandma told us to decide what tools we should leave there to use and the rest she wanted us to take. Ive found SnapOn stuff older then dads stuff. and Yet all of it works Great. Im die hard SnapOn. If I had the money Its all I would have.

20. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

My first complete set of tools was Craftsman. They make good stuff (EXCEPT RATCHETS!!!). That is my set of trail tools and they stay in the truck (when I have one). I also acquired some SK stuff, I would put it at or slightly above the Craftsman stuff. When I started seriously wrenching for a living, and after I grabbed most of the specialty tools I wanted, I started my Snap-on set (small stuff first), and I would not trade it for the world. I have used and own Matco and Mac stuff too, and they are good quality, but they never had a truck that stopped at any of the shops I worked at. My big stuff (anything larger than 1/2" drive, or 1 1/2", is Pittsburgh and the like. The quality is close to that of Craftsman and on large hardware they get the job done. If wrenching is a hobby, There really is no need for Snap-on and the like. However, if you make a living by wrenching, and a stripped head is the difference between a 5 minute job and a five hour job you don't want to take any chances. Also, Snap-on has never given me a hassle about any return, including some sockets (ball end hex drivers, etc) that I break regularly and keep 2 of in my box. The downside is that, as a 24 year old, I've spent more than $30g on tools. I worked my ass off for those tools knowing that once a wife and kids enter the picture my days of purchasing $150 ratchets without worry will be long behind me. However, they are all paid for and barring catastrophe I'll pass them on to my kids. Another thing, if you walk onto Snappy's truck and go on a $5000+ spending spree (I've had too many of those), if you ask you should be able to get at least 10%, if not more, off. One final warning: Snap-on has a good credit system (yes the interest rate is pretty high) and will start an account for just about anybody. Be careful. It is really easy to spend several months worth of pay in just a few minutes when that beautiful truck comes around once a week.